Tuesday with Alfie

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Hen-of-the-woods? Wonderful name! The layers of ruffled fawn-grey do look like sheltering feathers. They also look succulent, as if they'd be good enough to eat, and apparently they are--similar to a Portobello mushroom. We should add a post to the camp recipes thread, or throw a handful into grendel's pot of sausage and onions and peppers. Mmmm!

I love the close-ups for their colors and elegant curves and sense of mystery. I wonder, how would it feel to be an ant strolling through that enchanted labyrinth?

My thanks, Whip.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
tuesday without alfie

furnace moods. taken during lunch break today. or was it yesterday? maybe a few years ago. beats me.

a-2.jpg

aa-4.jpg

b-2.jpg

cc-1.jpg

f-2.jpg

c-2.jpg

e-2.jpg

d-2.jpg

i-1.jpg

g-2.jpg

ii-1.jpg

hit shutter accidentally during nap

h-1.jpg

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Nice shots of Weymouth. The cropped shots of the arch are great.
My favorite is the first one, though. The lonely park bench and the color give the place that melancholy feel I always get when I visit there.
Thanx for sharing.

John-

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
For years, my husband's family had a summer cabin at Weymouth, and when we were first married, he took me to see the furnace ruins--my introduction to the Pines.

Such beautiful old stones and interesting perspectives! I like the stem with its bright, frayed leaves and a single fruit, but most intriguing is the last shot, looking up through the sepia-tinted leaves.

May you have many such lunch breaks, Whip!

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
aaIMG_0840.jpg

abIMG_0856.jpg

It'd been months since Alfie and I had partaken in one of our traditional Tuesday jaunts (the bum has gotten lazy on me). We decided today would be the day to break our slump and head for the pines. Last night, however, I gave Alfie a call. Considering the chilly temps and gusty winds forecasted, I suggested Alfie route us through a trip that would keep us pretty much on trails and dry. "Why, soitenly!" he replied. What a marroon. We spent a total of five minutes on trails today. And most of the bushwhacking required stomping through ice. Urg!

acIMG_0896.jpg

The exploration area of choice was located on the east side of Rt. 539, near Warren Grove. I was too darned fabberglasted to focus much on photos (and nearly lost my cell phone and camera bag during the days misadventures). But I did snap a few; thanks in advance for looking.

adIMG_0886.jpg

afIMG_0881.jpg

agIMG_0903.jpg

ahIMG_0906.jpg

agaIMG_0904.jpg

aiIMG_0909.jpg

ajIMG_0907.jpg

akIMG_0907.jpg

alIMG_0907.jpg

amIMG_0907.jpg

anIMG_0907.jpg

aoIMG_0907.jpg

aqIMG_0939.jpg

apIMG_0907.jpg

arIMG_0939.jpg

asIMG_0939.jpg

atIMG_0939.jpg

avIMG_0939.jpg

auIMG_0939.jpg

awIMG_0939.jpg

axIMG_0939.jpg

Reading my thoughts? If you guessed, "I'll kill him if I ever catch up!", you win.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think I know where the spung is in your photo. Also, I really liked the photo of the breaking ice. Well done! It sure looks cold!

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Winter-bound barrens! I like the way you've caught the grasses, incredibly luminescent beneath the somber trees. The delicate colors of the water scene are lovely. Boots in crackling ice: stunning.

Thanks for the adventure!

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
hey where are the pics of the antique vehicle we found out there?it looked like a truck chassis but was only about 2 and a half feet wide and about 7 ft long.quite an interesting find in the middle of nowhere.i have the coords but billy has the pics.we should all demand he posts them!
by the way good job on the rest whip but i want the contraption photos
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
there was a day I'd of cracked ice barefooted but today i noticed me and whip gave each other detailed info on our various aches and pains,locations and intensities for half the ride home.then I turned and looked at him and so "oh God it's happened" he said what happened.I said we're old men:-(.He agreed on my estimation of our mortality.enough said.
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bill, I came across your "Skit on Ice" on the random image on the front page. Your work deserves to be in an art museum. I'm very serious about that. You should find a proper venue. Your work deserves (no, it screams for) an additional outlet that will get you proper exposure. Just don't ever forget about us. We still get to see it all first, okay?

Stitched-24-1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glow,

I don't know what what wrong but when I was clicking on it this morning it was downloading a GPX file. So I deleted it. Can you send me the file you have and I will upload it for Bob.

Thanks

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I put the photo back in Bob's post. It may not be the full size photo.

I am not sure why I was getting a false download this morning.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I put the photo back in Bob's post.

Is that an interesting perspective or what? Your eye wanders from one side to the other, and never really settles in, but enjoys the variation. And look at the two small, thin trees coming in at the top...like they are sneaking in, feeling their way...they want to get in the picture, into the scene, but are a bit hesitant.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thanks, Bob.

I can't think of a better place than here for my snaps ... next to the likes of yours, Ben's, Pancoast's, Guy's, Oji's, 46er's, Glo's, Turtle's, Ed's, Jeff's, Largo's, Hewey's, Scott's, Mike's, etc. For the most part, I size down the snaps, post them on the forum, delete the higher resolution photos, and let them live their lives here.

It ain't me, it's the barrens. :)

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
These are also from Tuesday. Before heading for Warren Grove, Alfie and I wanted to check out the flood level of Tulpehocken Creek.

bIMG_0830.jpg

This is Alfie standing at the mouth of Tulpehocken at its confluence point with the Wading.

cIMG_0831.jpg

Conflluence. Tulpehocken left. Wading right. The rivers are extremely high; the Wading's channel virtually impossible to detect.

dIMG_0834.jpg

Lower meadow on the Tulpehocken. Unfortunately, the early hour (no light) combined with extreme level of water made this area hard to photograph. Normal level photo below:

b5.jpg