Turnpike tolls

B

bach2yoga

Here's something interesting....in the 1800s in NJ the toll revenues collected for using the turnpike was determined by each company's incorpotion charter; rates were inconsistent, based on the route's cost of construction and volume of traffic.
Average rates:
Carriages with 4 horses or less cost 1 cent per mile
A horse and rider cost 2 cents per mile
A dozen calves, sheep or hogs cost 1/2 cent per mile
A dozen cattle, mules or horses cost 1 cent permile.
Collectors lived in toll houses that were built five to ten miles apart.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Renee,

Right at the start of the Tuckerton Road at the Pine Grove Church was a toll booth, and acording to the "History of Evesham Township" the pasengers in the carriages would pretend to be sleeping and try to have the horses pass through the tolls without paying. Some things never change, except the method of transportation.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Renee,

Right at the start of the Tuckerton Road at the Pine Grove Church was a toll booth, and acording to the "History of Evesham Township" the pasengers in the carriages would pretend to be sleeping and try to have the horses pass through the tolls without paying. Some things never change, except the method of transportation.

Guy

Kind of like people who pretend to be asleep at the beach rather than pay for a beach tag!

I went over the Walt Whitman bridge the other day, and accidentally went through the wrong line, and I have no sticker for the bridge toll. The sign said not to back up, and there was a line behind me, so I went through, pulled over, and went inside to the Port Authority to try to pay the bridge toll. They wouldn't take my money. Said they would send me a letter telling me that I had failed to pay, then I would have to mail in the $3.00.
Fortunately it was the first time I've ever done that, I understand that if it isn't you are fined $25 even if you stop immediately to pay it!
I also saw a picture of a covered bridge down here in Dividing Creek (that's "crick" to you northerners!) which is now 553. In the 1800s you were fined a whopping $10 if you crossed at anything faster than a walking pace.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My mom did the same thing on the turnpike and went back to pay, and the man said Easy Pass is completly seperate from them and also would not take the money. It was very busy and he told her that the camera took a photo of her tag and she would get a letter in the mail. That was in the summer and she has not received a letter yet.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
My mom did the same thing on the turnpike and went back to pay, and the man said Easy Pass is completly seperate from them and also would not take the money. It was very busy and he told her that the camera took a photo of her tag and she would get a letter in the mail. That was in the summer and she has not received a letter yet.

Guy

Laughs, as long as she doesn't receive a summons to court six months from now with a fine!

I haven't received my letter either, but it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
EZ Pass had so many problems when it was first released that they didn't issue tickets because they didn't know if their equipment was working right or not.

Only now are they starting to go after people.