Turtle ID

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Came upon this guy out in the open, about 50' from the nearest water. Seemed to be digging with rear legs, could it have been a female getting ready to lay eggs? (if so, risky spot)

Big, about 12-14" long. Anybody know what kind of turtle and approximate age? thks.

80801213-L.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are always on the sides of roads laying their eggs. I have a few photo's of them from Carranza road and Sim Place. I believe they are Red Bellied Turtles.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Redbelly Turtles are very cool turtles. What's interesting about these guys (and other turtles) is they dig a couple test holes before digging the actual hole they lay their eggs in. I'm not sure why this is, maybe they're finding the right hole, or maybe digging holes to make it harder for racoons and foxes to get the one with eggs in it? Not sure.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thats an awesome photo, super clear. She is laying her eggs, they choose locations where the sun hits it for most of the day but is still shady enough that it doesn't bake them. Sand roads and trails are perfect for turtles to lay there eggs. Determining age is tough with turtles but my guess would be that she is in the 20-30 range. That is probably her second clutch or a really really late first. Odds are a raccoon will find those eggs tonight:(

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
yup that is a female northern redbelly. you can tell it is a female by first it is digging a hole and second the front claws are short as compared to males as they are very long. they are very cool turtles and very colorful as hatchlings.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
daved said:
yup that is a female northern redbelly. you can tell it is a female by first it is digging a hole and second the front claws are short as compared to males as they are very long. they are very cool turtles and very colorful as hatchlings.

... and her plastron (belly plate) is convex (you can tell even from the little bit that shows here); in the male it is flat to slightly concave.

Nice shot!
Dave

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
daved said:

Yup, the claws are a good way to tell. I heard that males have long front claws for grasping onto the female and to scratch her back =D

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
actually the males have the longer claws to caress the females neck and sides of head during the mating process. i never seen red bellies do this but i have seen painted turtles do this. they invert their front feet so that the tops are facing the head and wiggle them so that the claws like tickle the head.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
daved said:
actually the males have the longer claws to caress the females neck and sides of head during the mating process. i never seen red bellies do this but i have seen painted turtles do this. they invert their front feet so that the tops are facing the head and wiggle them so that the claws like tickle the head.

Sounds like a good technique. I'll have to try that next time.

Jeff

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
thks

great info -- thks

pic was "sharpened" a tad in iPhoto, that seemed to bring out the texture in the shell. gotta luv digital photography.