Turtle

B

bach2yoga

I took a short hike this afternoon and discovered a painted turtle near a dock at Parvins. Unfortunately, a fish hook had found him before me, and had apparently gone through the roof of his mouth and out his eye. Whoever it was removed their hook and left the little guy there to die, one eye gouged out, and bleeding through the eye and mouth.
He's home with me, til I can get him to a wildlife rehabilitator, hopefully he will make it...
I get so disgusted with the disregard for life that some people exhibit... :swear:

B

bach2yoga

His eye is still bleeding...I wish I could get a hold of someone about him.
Any suggestions?
Renee

B

bach2yoga

I called there and left a message, as well as the turtle lady in Franklinville, but she only does land turtles.
Also called Steve of NJ Nature Wildlife Rehab and All Species Herp Rescue in Cape May, and Sarah Summerville at Unexpected Wildlife Refuge...
just waiting for the phone to ring...I am concerned about the little guy. I've dubbed him da Vinci since he's a painted turtle.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Update...
I talked with Cedar Run, they aren't equipped for turtles, just mammals. The only state certified turtle rescues are in Mercer, Warren and a couple other northern counties.
I took da Vinci with me to Bay Day in hopes I might find him some help there. The Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor was there with their diamondback terrapin display. They have a vet who donates his services and will take da Vinci to see him on Monday. They seem to think that if he gets medical attention he will have a decent chance at survival, though he won't be able to be put back into nature. It is a he, by the way, not a she. Apparently the males have longer claws than the females.
I'll have an update on him on Tuesday.
I know the laws on turtles are there for a reason, but it makes it difficult to treat an injured turtle...must be certified; in NJ you cannot keep a turtle--nope--can't keep that box turtle you find as a pet! Pet stores can't sell them in NJ anymore either. You have to have a state certification; and if they are kept in captivity over a year they can no longer be released; if they are released prior to a year they must be released within a 1/4 mile of where they were found, per All Species Herp Rescue in Cape May.
anyway, fingers crossed for the little guy,
Renee

B

bach2yoga

I heard it is because of the threat that our native turtles are under between loss of habitat, loss of lives due to crossing roads, and people keeping them as pets. Don't know if there is more to it or not...
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Mike is talking about the small turtles that in he past were sold in department stores and such. There were always 200 of them in a small tank and they would be piled on top of each other. I had them as a child, but NJ stopped selling them because there was some sort of disease transfer to humans that was found. Other states still sell them.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Thanks, good to know....do you know why you can't keep a turtle you find in the wild, is what I heard correct?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
do you know why you can't keep a turtle you find in the wild, is what I heard correct?

I have never heard that.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

It is apparently NJ law...can't keep a turtle you find in the wild unless you are licensed for rehab or for education like Wetlands Institute or Atlantic County Park, etc.. If you are rehabing it, and you re-release it, it must be released within 1/4 mile of where it was found, and if it is in captivity for over a year it may not be re-released into the wild.
Been told that on several lists and also by All Species Herp Rescue in Cape May.
Renee

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I believe Mike is talking about the small turtles that in he past were sold in department stores and such. There were always 200 of them in a small tank and they would be piled on top of each other. I had them as a child, but NJ stopped selling them because there was some sort of disease transfer to humans that was found. Other states still sell them.

Guy

It was salmonella. I remember hearing about it on the news.
Gillian

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It took some serious digging but I was able to find a photo of the turtles that I had as a kid that no longer can be sold in NJ and that Mike is talking about.

turtle.jpg

Their names were Tippy and ??? In those prehistoric days the schools in Marlton required all students in a certain grade to buy a steel flute and learn how to play it in music class. So at the time of the turtles death, either my brother or I were in that grade, so in order to give our turtles a proper burial, we decided that one of us should play taps as we buried them, which we did. Entombment was in my moms side yard. :barf:

Guy

B

bach2yoga

What did you play?
What kind of turtles were they?
I checked on da Vinci today, he is doing welll....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
What did you play?
What kind of turtles were they?
I checked on da Vinci today, he is doing welll....

We played Taps.

Good to hear he is doing well.

Guy