Turtle

KenDawg found this guy at Old Half Way. He/she is about 9 or 10" head to tail. Is it a Snapper?

aax.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Here is a snapper caught by a friend of mine this morning. It has not been weighed yet but it’s around 50lbs. It is a little bigger than one he caught last year and that was 48lbs. He will weigh this one before releasing it. He catches them for soup but does not use the big ones.
Snipper 2012 001.JPG

Snipper 2012 002.JPG

Snipper 2012 005.JPG

This is the one he caught last year, it was 48lbs.
48lb Snapper turtle 005.JPG

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a really nice size snapper! He does not look happy.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Al, we’re Pineys not Rebels. Although, one definitions of a Piney is - New Jersey Redneck. No yelling, no ceremony he just slipped back into Springer’s Brook from wends he came. He’s a Pine Barrens turtle again.

Guy, he’s happy now cause I heard him exclaim as he swam out of sight – "I’m free at last it’s going in be a GOOD NIGHT"

Don

P. S. We would like to see the state record for a snapper come from the Pine Barrens I’ll let you know when it happens.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, we’re Pineys not Rebels. Although, one definitions of a Piney is - New Jersey Redneck. No yelling, no ceremony he just slipped back into Springer’s Brook from wends he came. He’s a Pine Barrens turtle again.

Guy, he’s happy now cause I heard him exclaim as he swam out of sight – "I’m free at last it’s going in be a GOOD NIGHT"

Don

P. S. We would like to see the state record for a snapper come from the Pine Barrens I’ll let you know when it happens.
Well then a Piney yell is in order,invent one! You may be strictly piney but I'm only piney on my Dads side.Moms side was from KY and her gr gr grandad was a Rebel Guerilla under Hiram Hawkins in a KY cav unit so I may be permitted a Rebel yell occasionally on Moms side behalf.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Well then a Piney yell is in order,invent one! You may be strictly piney but I'm only piney on my Dads side.Moms side was from KY and her gr gr grandad was a Rebel Guerilla under Hiram Hawkins in a KY cav unit so I may be permitted a Rebel yell occasionally on Moms side behalf.

With the State record will come the "Piney Yell"

BarrensMike

Aug 30, 2012
Nice catch!

I saw this one in Wharton a few months ago:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/73008712.jpg
I was about 30-40 feet away (that's as close as he'd let me get, hence the sketchy picture quality), but he looked to be about the same size.

And I spotted this little brute crossing the street (of all places) as I was driving out of the park today:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/78842567.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/78842586.jpg
It was only about 1 to 1.5 feet long. boohoo

They're like little dinosaurs, I'd pat one on the head if I didn't value all 10 of my fingers. :p