Two Firms Eyeing Sites In Shamong For Cannabis Operations

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One location would be near the intersection of 206 and Old Indian Mills Road. And it looks like the solar farm at Murphy's pit on Atsion Road will become a reality with possibly the second Cannabis operation there as well. At least that is how I see it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I didn't know it was for growth and manufacture, I thought it would simply be a retail outlet. I'm against actual farms, because it changes the character of the area and they'll suck down the water supply. And they wan't be fields of green either, the'y'll be hot houses...unsightly hot houses. And if they use fertilizer and if that fertilizer leaves the farm somehow (like seep into the ground with rains), it will change the PH of the area.

A couple years ago I wrote a letter to New Jersey Conservation Foundation, asking them if their easement agreements they make with farms includes prohibition of greenhouses, because isn't scenic beauty a big reason to preserve working farms? The answer I got was not totally convincing, but if I got them thinking about that aspect, It's better than nothing. By the way, reacreational uses are another way these easements will likely be abused in the future. Corn mazes, pony rides, soccer fields...where does it end?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
And they wan't be fields of green either, the'y'll be hot houses...unsightly hot houses.

Are you sure about that? I have no idea about this proposal, but think most cannabis growing is done in window-less warehouses under artificial light so they have complete control over everything. Of course, that would probably be even uglier than a hothouse. ;)

I used to live on Atsion Rd near that pit and always thought it was pretty ugly as-is. Solar farms, warehouses and hot houses - or anything commercial - would certainly not be any prettier however.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Are you sure about that? I have no idea about this proposal, but think most cannabis growing is done in window-less warehouses under artificial light so they have complete control over everything. Of course, that would probably be even uglier than a hothouse. ;)

I used to live on Atsion Rd near that pit and always thought it was pretty ugly as-is. Solar farms, warehouses and hot houses - or anything commercial - would certainly not be any prettier however.
I was just using the name hot house for buildings, yes.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very interesting Ed. They must have been able to start that when the law allowed medical cannabis in NJ. Some of that work looks tedious though, but they likely rotate people around into different postiions.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
From what I've read, that is not the case in other states with legalization. The black market is stronger than ever, because the legal weed is really expensive, due to all the taxes, licenses, etc.

Reactions: RednekF350

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The outrageous thing is... it's just a weed that can be safely and easily grown at home at practically no cost. No need to "meet a guy on the street" or go into a business. Most other states that have legalized cannabis allow anyone to grow a certain number of their own plants. But this is New Jersey, where "it's all about the money"...

"New Jersey is unlikely to allow its marijuana users or medical marijuana patients to grow their own cannabis plants at home, the new president of the state Senate said this month."

"In the Garden State, growing one cannabis plant is still punishable by up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine"

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The outrageous thing is... it's just a weed that can be safely and easily grown at home at practically no cost. No need to "meet a guy on the street" or go into a business. Most other states that have legalized cannabis allow anyone to grow a certain number of their own plants. But this is New Jersey, where "it's all about the money"...

"New Jersey is unlikely to allow its marijuana users or medical marijuana patients to grow their own cannabis plants at home, the new president of the state Senate said this month."

"In the Garden State, growing one cannabis plant is still punishable by up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine"

It's laughable, since it's just a plant for God's sake. They'll let you grow tobacco and that kills thousands.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
It's laughable, since it's just a plant for God's sake. They'll let you grow tobacco and that kills thousands.
NJ wants to control all of the profit. In Massachusetts, where it is now legal, in addition to the already high price for the Marijuana, which is all grown in state and by the state, the combined state and local taxes added are %20.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
From what I've read, that is not the case in other states with legalization. The black market is stronger than ever, because the legal weed is really expensive, due to all the taxes, licenses, etc.
The legal product is going to be very expensive. At least until there is some competition. Curaleaf is the dominant force right now because they got in on the medical several years ago. They have a large facility in Bellmawr and they bought Warren Distributing's (beer distributor) warehouse in Winslow a little while ago and are running full bore there and have approvals in other areas.

All of the municipalities that opted in to allow cannabis facilities by the August 2021 deadline are chomping at the bit to levy the permitted 2% tax on the gross income generated by these new businesses.

I can tell you from my experience in meeting with the Pinelands regarding one of our towns, it ain't going to be easy to get by the Commission. It is not just a plant in someone's backyard, unfortunately. Large scale production requires a lot of chemicals, including fertilizers, herbicides, and hormones. CBD oil extractions employ solvents. This is a major concern in assessing the wastewater stream from these facilities and already on the Commission's radar. Most of these facilities in the Pinelands areas will be proposed in areas where there is no public sewer. i.e. Shamong.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd