Two More Hanover Stones Found

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today I found two more Hanover Furnace stones. First, I want to apologize again to member "Tom" for my health problems a few weeks back that caused me at the last minute to cancel our search for them. We would have found them together. I still have a few more that we can search for when we reschedule.

I was within twenty feet with these so I now am certain that magnetic north back then was 8.5 degrees different than true north is now. I can now calculate miles away and be as close as twenty feet.

The first one.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegat...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1987&g2_serialNumber=1

The sun shining through tress make taking photo's quite hard. Here we both are with the stone in the middle.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegat...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1991&g2_serialNumber=1

The second stone.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegat...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1993&g2_serialNumber=1

There is an ominous thing happening though in this area that we all should be concerned about. When I found these stones I noticed they had very recently been visited by professional surveyors. At first I was paranoid that maybe my mentioning these stone had spurred someone to take them on for themselves, but I quickly realized that they most likely did not even know what these stone really are. They were surveying for an adjacent property that I mentioned about not long ago about.

You may remember my post mentioning that Winzinger had owned property across from Coyle Field and was trying to reopen it for sand and gravel operations. The pinelands commission had rejected his plan but a judge overturned it saying he was "grandfathered" in and had not abandoned his operation. Well, it appears to me he is surveying his property boundary and it reached the two stones shown above. I am concerned they may be destroyed. I am taking steps now to find out if my thoughts are correct.

Here is my post but the article link does not work. I will look for it in my records and post it.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=2745

So be prepared to see some major changes along Laurie's road and 72 near Coyle Field. The pines in that area will be I believe changing soon.

And finally, I found another state monument for Friendship Bogs today deep in the woods near Friendship. I am slowly mapping the complete property

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegat...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1989&g2_serialNumber=1

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
All,

I was within twenty feet with these so I now am certain that magnetic north back then was 8.5 degrees different than true north is now. I can now calculate miles away and be as close as twenty feet

Guy
Declination increases every year and a lot of maps, i.e. NOAA charts that I use for marine navigation, will indicate the annual increase in the compass rose on the chart.
The annual increase in our area is about 6 minutes per year which is substantial.
All USGS and most technical maps indicate the declination and year on the compass rose so that you can make the appropriate adjustments.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

The problem is that I have some maps that actually show the magnetic north compared to true north, and they are way off. Fourteen and half degrees is mentioned on one map. You don't how much time I spent in the past looking for things until I finally started getting the hang of this. I use 8.5 degrees on everything now and it gets me right there. I found these stones today near Coyle Field by calculating from a stone near Savoy Blvd. Quite a distance to be within 20 feet. I was never that accurate until I started using 8.5.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was on Laurie's road almost to Old Half Way so i did not get over your area.

I actually looked for one other stone which I have done many times. I think it is gone. There is one more that is far enough off the road in the middle of a massive briar area that I want to search for with member "Tom". I am going to bring a piece of plywood and throw it down and step on it and slowly work my way through it to the location. We did this as kids at the end of my moms street and it worked well. :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am going to bring a piece of plywood and throw it down and step on it and slowly work my way through it to the location. We did this as kids at the end of my moms street and it worked well. :) Guy

HA! Good one. Lets buy one for PBX and paint our logo on it!

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
That is a great find Guy. It will be a real shame if they end up being destroyed/removed. No need for an apology, your health is more important.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Remember the stream we crossed on the county line on the 3 watersheds hike? That is watershed for the Pope Branch and I am certain that is the location that will be the sand mine.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah Guy, thats it. It flows into the Oswego eventually. It sucks big time that they are going to be back there. Remember the big swamp we were in; the land that time forgot? It will be near there.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
just think how many oportunitys Guy would have to finding stones if he were by profession a surveyor in the area

Guy leaves no stone uncovered !, found then recovered, LOL !

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Hey Guy, Seeing you picture I now know that I know who you are! I went to school with Jessica. Small world eh? Tell her I said hello. Jim Toogood. PS great finds.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hey Guy, Seeing you picture I now know that I know who you are! I went to school with Jessica. Small world eh? Tell her I said hello. Jim Toogood. PS great finds.

I just asked Jessica and she knows you. You graduated with her she said. I may have photo's of you in the croud. :)

EDIT: She just showed me your graduation picture.

Guy

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Yup thats me. I am in the woods alot . Ill look for ya next time I am out. GoogleEarth is going to help me A LOT. So much woods out there.

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
No family in Pennsauken. Not a real common last name though... Strange.. Ill ask the parents.