Two South Jersey sod farms see opportunity in youth soccer tournaments. One town loves it, the other is fighting it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
“I’m not anti-sports," resident Steven Horowitz said in an interview. "I just think the scope of this is ridiculous in a highly populated area.”

Hammonton - 14,000 population

Shamong - 6,500 population

Mr. Horowitz needs to check his math.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Pretty weird that residents in the area would oppose something that would significantly increase municipal tax revenue. Do they like high taxes? In the decaying industrial town where I live, any new business or commercial ratable would bring welcome relief.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Pretty weird that residents in the area would oppose something that would significantly increase municipal tax revenue. Do they like high taxes? In the decaying industrial town where I live, any new business or commercial ratable would bring welcome relief.

Sometimes folks move to or live in areas such as Shamong and don't mind paying higher taxes for the solitude communities like that provide. The opposition comes from the fact of increased traffic, people, etc.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, the crawl and gnashing through the Pinelands gauntlet of regulations for the Gardners should go smoothly. I see that they hired William F. Harrison Esq.. Harrison was the Assistant Commissioner of the Pinelands Commission for twenty years. I think the current Commissioners should recognize the name. Wink, wink. ;)
Well played Gardners !

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, the crawl and gnashing through the Pinelands gauntlet of regulations for the Gardners should go smoothly. I see that they hired William F. Harrison Esq.. Harrison was the Assistant Commissioner of the Pinelands Commission for twenty years. I think the current Commissioners should recognize the name. Wink, wink. ;)
Well played Gardners !

I had to chuckle when I read the article in the Pine Barrens Tribune what Harrison said in the town meeting:

"The purpose of (this) is not to have kids play soccer, its purpose is to sell sod....Indeed, the very purpose of the soccer tournaments is to have the tournaments played on the turf so the farm can demonstrate the quality of the turf that is grown on the farm".

That did not go over well with the town folk. The owners of the farm withdrew the application out of respect for their neighbors opinions.