Tylertown

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do not have the info on when the state purchased it, but my info shows that Joseph Wharton did acquire it before the state did. That is not certain but it looks that way. But I can tell you with certainty that the parcel of land designated as Tylertown is 83.2455 acres.

And it is a gold mind for stones!

Guy

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Thanks for the info...I was wondering what kind of town this was at one point. We know where it is...just wanted to see if there was any particular signifigance to the area.

tg

shetzer9213

Jun 24, 2004
Absecon
gagliarchives said:
We know where it is...just wanted to see if there was any particular signifigance to the area.

Sorry, I misread your original post & thought you were asking where it was. Guess it's time to get the ol' eyes checked out.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
From "Place Names of Burlington County" by Henry Bisbee (1955)

Tylertown: This "cross roads" hamlet is probably not more than 50 years old. It is located two miles north of Bulltown in Washington.

Gordons makes no mention of it, so it's not an "old" town by any means.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I was wondering what kind of town this was at one point. We know where it is...just wanted to see if there was any particular signifigance to the area.

There was some cranberry and blueberry farming in the area. From what I have recall there were some very old families (a few still there) who made a living off the land and in the local towns nearby.... The "town" Tylertown may not have existed much before 1900, but the family homesteads were there. I know some of the folk still living up there....been there quite some time and proud of it.

turtle

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
From driving through it, the place seems like a nice place to live. Very quite and peaceful and completely surrounded by the forest. I would just worry about the forest fires though. It's not too far from the Batsto - Wash turnpike and Bulltown. I could see there being homes there in the early part of the 1900s, but I've never really explored the area.