Union Transportation Company

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw that also after it was mentioned on this site, but it does not appear that that trains are going to run on it. It does not continue very far. Unless something is going to be coming and going from Whiting to the sand company at Woodmansie.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Guy,

Spoke to some locals this morning but nobody can confirm what's going on. Currently there are two rumors. One is that Clayton, who currently owns the tracks from his sandpit up to RT539, I believe is going to start rail service. I here he has met with official with NJ Transit.

The other rumor is that New Jersey Transit is going to provide rail service to Atlantic City. I did hear something about this about a year agoand I don't know if this has anythying to do with the Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex (MOM) connections that is being looked into. I did take some pictures and did some snooping around. It appears that the clearing stopped by Central Avenue. I hear it will resume to Lakehurst where there is still rail service on Conrail Shared Assets. The freight service on this line is very light but it still exists.

I'm going to see if anyone from the CNJ groups have more info.

Also, I spoke to Marilyn today and she says the one water tower I spotted belonged to a Zinc company that's just north of her store on Savoy. It's on the right hand side. Is this the tower you were referring to?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, I spoke to Marilyn today and she says the one water tower I spotted belonged to a Zinc company that's just north of her store on Savoy. It's on the right hand side. Is this the tower you were referring to?

No.. That is the tower for Pioneer Smelting. The one I am refering to was behind the firehouse.

I can't see anything going to AC. The rails along most of the line are in very bad shape, and the bridges need repair also. I say that will never happen. The cost would be unbelievable!

I can believe the sand company may come in from Whiting. But even then I would bet some of the new home owners along there may have some objections. They may even start lawsuits that could tie that up until it dies.

Ken..thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see the clearing going on in Whiting, in fact, just North of Whiting on the tracks that parallel Manchester blvd on the way to roue 70.

I have absolutely no love for Clayton Sand. I hope they fall off the earth.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
You may get your wish if they keep digging :)

Guy

Here's the latest from a railfan on one of our forums:

"Learned at a meeting with the Ocean County Transportation Board last
night: Mr. William Clayton, Jr. has confirmed that his company is
planning to resume operation of sand trains from Woodmansie to
Lakehurst. Service is planned to begin around the end of 2007."

The NJT rumor is still just that.

It will be nice to see a train run on those tracks again :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to hear. I wish my photo's of the JC train turned out years ago. That would make a killer "Then And Now" photo(s).

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Nice to hear. I wish my photo's of the JC train turned out years ago. That would make a killer "Then And Now" photo(s).

Guy

I remember the group trying to use photoshop to straighten them out without any success. Too bad. It would have been nice.

Here's another chance for before and after. Catch them working on the line cutting trees and vegitation down now and take pictures before they do the work. You will have some nice before and after shots.