Unusual book on Ebay

B

bach2yoga

Barry,
I am familiar with this book. I've been looking for it for almost a year, thanks!
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When bidding ends on this, I have something to mention and show. I don't believe I have shown this before.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
When bidding ends on this, I have something to mention and show. I don't believe I have shown this before.

Guy

Got my interest peaked! Probably get it for pennies? :D

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has nothing to do with money. The photo right below the arrowhead photo shows the Savage Farm in Marlton. I have personal photo's of the place including the ice cream store that was there. I also have a photo of some other building that was there. It is a really strange hut like building that was used for I assume storing things or whatever.

As a kid I played on that farm property. The Savage family was forced to move out of the house by the township after the family sold it to them. They wanted to stay there to keep the house up and prevent vandalism, but some idiot in power forced them out and I can tell you the building is no longer there because of that. I also have newspaper clippings and even a magazine ad that featured the Savage family in it. It was an ad for farm equipment and the dad Savage gave his praises of that piece of equipment. I also have photo's of milk bottles from there and I believe numerous other items I have acquired mainly from a man who collects them and sends me things. But the photo's are all mine.

The Savage property was an Indian settlement and hundreds of artifacts over the years have been found there. The property is now used as Soccer fields and is covered over with grass. In the past the fields were plowed and things were easily found.

The ice cream stand was in the last years there, and we would ride our bikes over there after the local ball games, and on occasion we were mistaken for players and received free ice cream. The photo I have of it shows it boarded up and not in use.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
It has nothing to do with money. The photo right below the arrowhead photo shows the Savage Farm in Marlton. I have personal photo's of the place including the ice cream store that was there. I also have a photo of some other building that was there. It is a really strange hut like building that was used for I assume storing things or whatever.

As a kid I played on that farm property. The Savage family was forced to move out of the house by the township after the family sold it to them. They wanted to stay there to keep the house up and prevent vandalism, but some idiot in power forced them out and I can tell you the building is no longer there because of that. I also have newspaper clippings and even a magazine ad that featured the Savage family in it. It was an ad for farm equipment and the dad Savage gave his praises of that piece of equipment. I also have photo's of milk bottles from there and I believe numerous other items I have acquired mainly from a man who collects them and sends me things. But the photo's are all mine.

The Savage property was an Indian settlement and hundreds of artifacts over the years have been found there. The property is now used as Soccer fields and is covered over with grass. In the past the fields were plowed and things were easily found.

The ice cream stand was in the last years there, and we would ride our bikes over there after the local ball games, and on occasion we were mistaken for players and received free ice cream. The photo I have of it shows it boarded up and not in use.

Guy

Guy,

I have some lengthy but fascinating articles in past Archaeological Society of NJ bulletins re: the Savich Farm. I would love to see the photos!!!!Let us know if you post them?

Why was the Savich family forced out? Because of the archaeological dig?

We have so many farms down here in Cumberland County that turn over artifacts, it surprises me that there aren't archaeologists all over them.

There is site on Sherman Ave down here that has been nominated for a national historic Native site, the county opposed it because they wanted to widen the road.

Renee

B

BarryC

Renee,
Check your email. I found a similar book by the same author(s) on abebooks.com.
Barry
bach2yoga said:
Barry,
I am familiar with this book. I've been looking for it for almost a year, thanks!
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
I would love to see the photos!!!!Let us know if you post them?

Why was the Savage family forced out? Because of the archaeological dig?

Renee

First let me say I have been spelling the name wrong. It is Savich not Savage.

In the early 70's the Savich family was no longer running the farm and were just living in the house. They then sold all of their property to Evesham as I believe green acres or something equivalent to that. There was some sort of an agreement where they could stay in the house after the purchase to keep it from being vandalized, but sometime after that the township decided to throw them out and that left the house abandoned. Whoever made that decision as far as I am concerned sealed it's fate, and not long after I took these photo's it burned to the ground.

These photo's were taken on slide, and years ago before I had access to a slide scanner I took them to a store to have them digitized. After returning in a week they did not have them done and rushed them as I waited. They were not the best photo's, but the store did not do a good job and some are dark and some are flushed out. I will have to do them myself one day.

This photo shows the former ice cream store that the Savich family ran. The garage can be viewed in the back and the house is out of view on the left.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/savich/Savich1.jpg

This is the house shortly before it burned. The first link is my photo, and the second link is the one from the book on Ebay.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/savich/Savich2.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~musicjmw/1b31b.jpg

The side of the house.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/savich/Savich3.jpg

Here is the odd building.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/savich/Savaich4.jpg

And here is an ad that was given to me. The house is on the far left.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/savich/savichAD.jpg

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Guy, they are interesting photos. The hut is a curious structure, and now I am really wondering about that eviction....
I'll see if I can dig up that article and post it.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Guy, I'm looking at the article and I don't think I'll scan it. It's over 15 pages long and has some fairly sensitive info.
I'll see if I can recap some of the info:
It is a national and state registered historic place (I think Alan told me there are only 5 in the state-that's what we're going to try to do with the furnace. Joe has taken a particular interest in this furnace, because, unlike all of the other furnaces he's seen, this one still has so much left to find out about, and if can get a proper excavation, we still can find out)
Apparently the Native Americans (hereafter NA) of this site have left artifacts found only rarely elsewhere, and had an elaborate ritual for treatment of the dead. It's part of a small unusual group of sites known as the Koens-Crispin complex, late archaic period around 2000 bc.

There was also later prehistoric use of the site, including the late woodland. The article, 1997, states that Evesham township owned and manages with funding assistance from green acres, intending to develop the farm as a park with a range of "appropriate formal and informal uses". There was/is to be a preservation management plan.

Apparently the burials were cremations--I'm vaguely familiar with prehistoric Lenape burials, and I don't *think* most of them included cremations. There were a lot of ceremonial artifacts, and a number of burial units and skulls that were examined, and the cremated bones as well. Apparently these people used a fair amount of materials that were not local, too.

It appears to me that the soccer field is part of the preservation management plan, because there was concern about trees growing in the area and destroying the soil strata.

I'll need to visit there one of these days. Is it near the sanctuary, which is also Evesham?

Renee

This article focuses on phase 1 of the long term management plan, the archaeological survey.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was located right at the end of the dirt road shown in this map. Ths soccer fields are to the left up to the development shown. The development is Georgetown, the second oldest "modern" develoment in Evesham. I grew up in the oldest. ( my site: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/mh/ )

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...93&size=s&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

If you go there you also will want to go to the Pine Grove Church which is the one that Beck has a photo of in his book, and I posted one of. It is located just a short distance to the right in the above map. Here is a it's location and if you look to the left you can se the road to the Savich farm.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...02&size=s&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
This is cool because I studied with John Sinton at Stockton in the 90's. I don't think I was aware that he wrote this book though. I took an environmental class with him. Everyone thought he was a cool guy. He would invite students over for small parties at his house. Thanks for bringing it to light for us.