Up Nash's Cabin Way

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Finally made it out to Nash's cabin today. Nice day all around, with the rain letting up and the sun coming out after noon. The roads were a little sloppy but nothing out of the ordinary. A certain buck-toothed resident of the pond at the cabin site has been very busy. There was one large (8" or so) cedar felled right at the water's edge. It fell the wrong way so I guess he gave up on it. We spotted many other small cedars that had been gnawed through in the vicinity, but he had hauled all those off to make his impressive domicile.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Finally made it out to Nash's cabin today. Nice day all around, with the rain letting up and the sun coming out after noon. The roads were a little sloppy but nothing out of the ordinary. A certain buck-toothed resident of the pond at the cabin site has been very busy. There was one large (8" or so) cedar felled right at the water's edge. It fell the wrong way so I guess he gave up on it. We spotted many other small cedars that had been gnawed through in the vicinity, but he had hauled all those off to make his impressive domicile.

Was that a new looking cut? That seems like it was there years ago. Maybe wrong.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Was that a new looking cut? That seems like it was there years ago. Maybe wrong.

Guy

Well, it's gold with red heartwood, so it looks pretty fresh to me. New-cut cedar should grey in about a season I think, and this didn't look very weathered at all. There were a number of examples of earlier cuts in the surrounding wood and they were all weathered gray. The ones we assumed were new-cut were all gold/red.

I'm bugging my friend for a still from his video. If you stand at the cabin site and face the water, the tree is right at the water's edge to the right. It is still attached to its stump, and fell onto the shore pointing almost directly away from the water. There were green needles on the tree as well, if I recall correctly. We marvelled at the size of some of the tooth strokes. They looked to be better than a half-inch across. I don't know much about beavers, but this one must be pretty good sized.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks quite fresh for sure. And it is a cedar. Nice find.

Guy

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I photographed the same tree today. There was another nearby too.

07-12-29-95.jpg

07-12-29-96.jpg

07-12-29-99.jpg

07-12-29-101.jpg