Up the Cedar

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Cedar Creek has some good features many other Pine Barren streams do not. First, no active bogs dump into it where we canoe. Also, it is a clear and fast running stream due to its short length and the pristine headwaters area. The cedar seems to gain a lot of its strength directly from the aquifer rather than from rain and/or rain seepage from the ground. Even in a drought it flows fairly strong.

Some time this month I plan to canoe upstream from Dover Forge to Lacey Road (or possibly even Bamber Lake).

Why? Because it seems like a FUN thing to do. I want to explore a bit and jump out of the canoe now and then and feel the creek's cool freshness.

Its more fun if others come, we can have a few laughs and help each other lift and push the canoes over the rough spots. Be prepared to get messy and wet.

Afterwards, we can have a beer and maybe a hotdog or hamburger from the grill at my house.

I figure 4-5 hours tops, 30 minutes to shuttle our canoes to Dover Forge, two or three hours on the river, and an hour and a half or so on my porch.

Anyone game....Hmmm? You need your canoe or kayak. Let me know, I'll set a date. I'm thinking the 24th, and I'm also thinking the date is very flexible due to the weather. Hopefully when Guy comes back since he might like to come.

bob (ps, I only have one canoe, if Guy comes he'll go with me. I know he doesn't have one).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I will come, but there is a possibility that the 24th is taken for me and I believe Steve also. I will get back to you tomorrow (Saturday) on that.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Sounds like fun but I'd have to come up with a canoe or kayak by then.Steve

I thought you might have one Steve. I hope you find one......if I can find someone down here who has one I'll try to borrow thiers.......bob

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I would like to join you on your trip. I have a 14 foot aluminum canoe I can bring along. I Will need someone to help paddle if we are going upstream.

Ron

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Okay Ron, good to have you along. We'll know better the last week before the trip how this will run and how many canoes are needed. Perhaps if Bear does not end up getting his sister's he can ride with you.........bob

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
pinelandpaddler said:
always wanted to do the Cedar. Count me in too! Gabe

Okay Gabe, good. I do want to remind you though, this is not the traditional easy-going cedar trip, we are going upstream about 2 miles.

Heres how it stacks up. Ron's post about not canoeing alone is food for thought. It can be done, but is much less strenuous and hassle-free if you have help:

Bob, Guy, Bear, Ron, Gabe.

So far we have 2 canoes lined up.

Gabe, do you have one to bring?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since the time is getting near, lets update. It is on for Sunday the 1st, and Bob, Steve, and I are going for sure. There appears to be at least one other going that the three of us know, so it looks like we are covered for canoes. Not certain as of yet.

Ron and Gabe are you still going?

Bob..where do you want to meet, and what time?

Guy

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I am still up for going. Not sure if one of the people mentioned plans to share my canoe. Let me know. Otherwise I will try to find someone else to come along and help paddle. :friday:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lorun said:
I am still up for going. Not sure if one of the people mentioned plans to share my canoe. Let me know. Otherwise I will try to find someone else to come along and help paddle. :friday:

Ok. It appears Steve may have a conoe lined up, but I belive it is not certain as of yet . Steve or I will get back to you on that as soon as we know.

Guy

Lorun said:

Lou,

I believe so far it is Bob, Guy ,Paul (not from this site) and myself. We have 2 canoes between us. Gabe hasn't gotten back to this thread yet.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ron,

So it appears you should find someone to go with. Steve is going with a man the three of us know.

Looking forward to Sunday!!!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Lorun said:

Ok. It appears Steve may have a conoe lined up, but I belive it is not certain as of yet . Steve or I will get back to you on that as soon as we know.

Guy

Mickey has said he will come too, and he has a canoe. I will wait and see who else will come until tomorrow. Then we can see what the match-up is. Ron, I'm thinking you don't need to find someone else, just bring the canoe, and if we have too many canoes, we'll leave one at my house. And, if we need another paddler, we'll pull a poor sucker out of his house and hand him a paddle! But, if you do want to bring a friend, go ahead...........we'll manage somehow.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will be nice to see Mickey again. I also have a few questions for him. Hopefully he can help me out.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I'd love joining in the trip up . . . though i regretfully doubt i can come up with a craft capable of going upstream 2 miles. If the date rolls up and you need an extra man . . . i'm in.

-Bob