Updated Book List From Lost Town Hunter

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is an updated list of books that were not sold at the Lines On The Pines by Lost Town Hunter. If you are interested in any of them please contact him.

TED GORDON
Pine Barrens Historian, Botanist, Photographer, Guide
609-859-3566
pbitgordon@aol.com

Used publications (many of them hard to find) are available by arrangement (contact info above). This is a unique opportunity especially for those just starting out to develop their New Jersey, Pine Barrens, or natural history collections to purchase books and pamphlets at bargain prices.

THIS LISTING HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF MARCH 12, 2013. IN SEVERAL INSTANCES PRICES HAVE BEEN LOWERED SINCE PREVIOUS POSTINGS.

Geological Survey of New Jersey

These volumes are a “gold mine” of information on New Jersey history in general. Yet most history buffs are unaware of their contents, which goes beyond geology, to include iron mining and furnaces; bench markers; streams, wells, & water supply; forestry; clay & marl mining; and the brick, pipes, and pottery industries and the lost towns associated with them.

Annual Reports

$18 1890: Iron Ores & Mines; Franklin Furnace map; terrace formation of Atlantic Coast & along Delaware River (304 pages; cover missing)
$20 1896 : Report on Active Iron Mines; 1896 flood; surface geology of s. NJ; several maps and charts(377 pages)
$20 1905: Changes Along NJ Coast; fossil plants; Lake Passaic; peat deposits; mining-iron, zinc, copper (338 pages)

Final Reports

$25 1888 (Vol.I) Topography, Magnetism, Climate. Includes bench-marks.
$30 1889 (Vol. II, Part 1) Minerology & Botany (minerals found in NJ and Nathanial Britton’s classic 1889 catalogue of plants; good condition; 448 pages,
hardcover.
$25 1894 (Vol. III) Water-Supply: (C.C. Vermeule)-water supply, water power, flow of streams & attendant phenomena; 448 pages; hardcover (2 copies).

Other Reports

$10 Bulletin #33 Surface Water Supply of NJ to Sept. 30 1928 (Hartwell, 1929; 301 pages).
$5 Bulletin 39 Ground Water Supplies of the Camden area, 1932, D. Thompson
$20 US Dept. of Agriculture (Bureau of Soils) Soil Survey of the Chatsworth Area, NJ, L.L. Lee, 1923. Contains 2 fantastic color soil maps (with place names)
worth double the asking price. (2 copies)
$20 Dept of Conservation and Development 1917. The quaternary formations of southern NJ, Salisbury and Knapp. An important document.

Annual Reports of the NJ State Museum (hardcover)
Sold out

New Jersey Agricultural Society Publications
These booklets are invaluable, difficult to find, and expensive to purchase. When available, they rarely can be obtained for less than $50 per volume.

$ 35 1971 The Personal Estates of Early Farmers and Tradesmen of Colonial NJ: 1670 – 1750. Harry B.Weiss (102 pages)
(Amazon wants $101.18 for this volume.)

Descriptive Bibliography of Pine Barrens Literature

$10 1989 Compendium II: NJ Pine Barrens Literature. Division of Pinelands Research & Center For Coastal and Environmental Studies (Covers Botany, Geology
& Soils, Hydrology, Meteorology , Zoology)

BOOKS OF HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE

Henry Charlton Beck
$6 1963 Jersey Genesis paperback, good condition (2 copies)
$7 Tales & Towns of Northern NJ new
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$6 The Delaware Canal. 1967. Robert J. Mc Clellan. Hardcover, new (112 pages)
$4 Historic Woodbury 1964 (32 pages with folding map)
$9 The Story of Shrewsbury 1864-1964, Kraybill (photo copy)
$20 Paisley, the Magic City, A. Lee, 1939 (photo copy)
$3 The Land Market in New Jersey’s Pinelands. Past, Present trends in Land Use & Transfer. 1987 James Neuman ( ANJEC; 49 pages)
$6 Stories of New Jersey, Frank R. Stockton (new)
$7 Iron in the Pines 1st Ed. 1957, Hardcover ( good condition, cover is worn)
$3 NJ Off the beaten Path (almost new)
$5 50 Hikes in NJ, Scofield (almost new)
$2 The Historic County of Burlington, L. Griscom
$1 Structure & Ornament: A Guide to Architectural Styles in Burlington County 1700-1900, Betten
$4 The Iroquois Trail, Harrington - the story of American Indian life in colonial times, good condition
$4 NJ Pinelands Commission Manual for Identifying and Delineating Wetlands j1991- 2 copies
$1 NJ Nature News, NJ Audubon Society, Sept ’67.
$2 Cranberry Growing in the Pine Barrens ;T. Gordon photos, 3 copies
$2 The Geological History of the Pine Barrens, H. Richards, NJ Audubon Society No. 101
$1 The Bog Ore and Iron Industry of South Jersey, J. A. Starkey Jr. 1962, -11 copies.

BOOKS ON NATURAL HISTORY
Fauna
$2 “The Amphibians of Northern New Jersey” Irving Black & Virginia Pine article by Jack McComick in NJ Nature News March 1963. (53 pages)
$5 Wildlife Viewing Guide, L. Pettigrew (almost new)
$3 This Week Out of Doors, 1954, Wildman (hardcover)
$3 Rare Wildlife Species Survey and Habitat Evaluation of the Elwood Corridor in Atlantic Co., R. Zappalorti et al, Herpetological Assoc., 1996
$1 Special Animals of NJ, 1992, Office of Natural Lands Management -2 copies
$4 The Sea-Beach at Ebb-tide
$4 The Frog Book, Mary Dickerson (Dover books, paperback v good condition))

Flora
$5 Traces on the Appalachians, Kevin Dann, 1988
$9 Vegetation of NJ, B. Robichaud & M. Buell, 1989-2 copies
$5 Woody Plants of Sphagnous Bogs of New England & Canada
$5 Forest Vegetation of the Pinelands, Andropogon Associates
$10 Plant Communities of NJ, Collins & Anderson
$12 Field Guide to the Pine Barrens, H. Boyd (new)
$3 Environmental Impact Study of Stone Harbor E. Vivian
$5 Mountain Flowers of New England, Appalachian Mt. Club. A Classic.
$5 Shrubs & Vines of NJ. 1965. Lois Shoemaker. State Museum Bulletin 10.
$10 Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide. Lawrence Newcomb. New. Great bargain. (2 copies)
$4 Trees of Eastern & Central US & Canada. William Harlow. Excellent pocket guide.
$2 William L. Hutcheson Memorial Forest Bulletin (Dedication issue: Vol. 1, No 1. August 1957) M. F. Buell Ed. Pamphlet on old growth forest.
$7 Audubon Society field Guide to Natural Places of the North East Coast.
$9 Green Laurels, Donald Peattie (a classic 1936, hardcover, good condition)
$9 Species of Eternity, J Kastner (a classic, 1977, hardcover good condition)
$7 Edible Wild Plants, (Eastern N. America) Fernald , Rollins, Collins
$4 Reading the Landscape, Watts ( good condition, hardcover)
$5 Land-the 1958 yearbook of Agriculture US Dept of Ag.
$15 Ecological Relation in the Pitch Pine Plains, Harold Lutz, PH. D; 1934 Yale ; photo copy; still the best paper on the Pitch Pine Plains)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The last paper cited by Guy above can now be found online at the below link. It is very interesting to read. Mr. Harold Lutz really did a thorough investigation on the reason the plains vegetation appears so poor compared to the rest of the pines. This was published in 1939. I am unaware of anything around that refutes this investigation or provides a better theory. There are good nuggets in here.

https://elischolar.library.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1037&context=yale_fes_bulletin

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Thanks, Bob. Just yesterday, I was searching for articles on the Pine (Pygmy) Plains. After exploring the area in my Harshberger Post, I gain renew interest in the pygmy pines. It's been a while since I extensively explored this area, during my early years of exploring the Pine Barrens when I didn't know as much. I plan to start exploring this area this year when the Corema conradii comes in bloom. For anyone else that may be interested, there are about five other good articles on the net. Instead of listing them, just google "NJ Pine Barren West Plains, East Plains, Pygmy Plains, etc.". I never really knew what was considered the boundaries of the West Plains, East Plains, and Little Plains. One article stated the West Plains (Upper) being in the Coyle Field area, East Plains (Lower) being Bombing Range area, and Little Plains being the FFA Radio Tower area just west of Warren Grove. For me, this is a big help when reading the articles.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I never really knew what was considered the boundaries of the West Plains, East Plains, and Little Plains.

The NJDEP has a dataset of "Natural Heritage Priority Sites" that defines some boundaries: https://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/digidownload/metadata/statewide/prisites.htm

Here's a quick mash-up of the plains.

plains.jpg

info.jpg

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Boyd Thanks. In addition to your map, the article that I read also stated three other smaller tracts: Bass River Plains (49 ha), Westecunk Plains (31 ha), and small occurrences in Forked River Mountain, but weren't significant enough for the article. To all, the best way to get to the article is google "New Jersey Pine Plains - The True Barrens of the New Jersey Pine Barrens" Then look for the hit: Savannas, Barrens, and Rock Outcrop Plant Communities of North American. That's because it's one of many articles under that.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That's an interesting map Boyd.

I created a sort of paraphrased / bullet summary of the article by Harold Lutz. It was more difficult to do than I thought because he scatters the good nuggets all around the paper. I did this for me since I have a poor memory lately, and I really like his paper.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting points made in the paper entitled Ecological Relation in the Pitch Pine Plains, Harold Lutz, PHD; 1934 Yale. For the most parts, the words are verbatim, but rearranged:

The East and West Plains are the two largest areas supporting low tree growth, but they are not unique in the sense that there are no other areas occupied by similar vegetation. There are many other areas in South Jersey where there is low growth. The plains have been increasing in size during the recent past (written 1939).

The Plains community owes its continued existence to fires. Because of its small size, tree growth on the Plains is readily killed back, since in this community all fires burn in the tree crowns as well as on the ground surface. In the (classic) Pine Barren community the trees are larger and their stems are protected by extremely thick bark.

The Plains have been burned more frequently than either of the other communities (Pine Barrens proper and transition areas). The reasons for the greater frequency of fires on the Plains appear to be as follows: First, as already mentioned, the East and West Plains occupy broad rolling divides which are not dissected by stream branches which might serve as barriers to the spread of fire. The practical absence of natural barriers to the spread of fire is regarded as important in accounting for the high fire hazard of these areas. Elevation above sea level is not a controlling factor. Second, incendiary fires were frequently set in the Plains to improve berry crops. Third, in the past, when fires originated in the Pine Barrens near the East or West Plains it was common practice for fire fighters to direct them out into the Plains where they were left to burn themselves out.

(Hence) the tree growth of the Plains is small because it is young and not because it is an inherently dwarf community.

Soil type is not a controlling factor in determining the existence of the Plains community. The Plains seem capable of supporting forest vegetation similar to that encountered in the (classic) Pine Barren community. And there is evidence in the literature that certain parts of the East and West Plains formerly supported trees of larger size than they now support. Phytometer studies involving the growth of rye and oats in soils from the Pine Barrens and Plains failed to indicate any important differences in fertility. These experiments were carried out in a greenhouse where soil moisture was maintained at a favorable level.

Measurements made in the course of the investigation do indicate that the rate of evaporation in the Plains community is at least 100 per cent greater than in the adjacent Pine Barrens. This is a significant fact and must have an unfavorable influence upon the water relations of the Plains vegetation and also upon 'fire hazard. (Also), during drought periods surface soil moisture in the Plains may reach the point of non-availability while surface soil moisture is still available in the Pine Barrens.

In summation the conclusion is reached that the Plains areas are capable of supporting forest growth similar to that in the Pine Barrens. Inasmuch as the Plains owe their continued existence to repeated fires, it is obvious that effective fire protection is the first and most important step toward their rehabilitation.

Last edited: