Upper Oswego

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Claire and I did some canoeing today. We went from Oswego lake to upsteam a bit on the oswego river. The river was very clear and very few flies, much to my surprise. Perfect weather. Saw lots of red belly turtles, and a swimming nothern water snake.
normal_oswego_7-1-06_002.jpg

normal_oswego_7-1-06_001.jpg

normal_oswego_7-1-06_006.jpg

Some old pillions of a bridge perhaps, Hard to tell. Any road was long gone.
normal_oswego_7-1-06_007.jpg

normal_oswego_7-1-06_008.jpg

Yum!!!
normal_oswego_7-1-06_009.jpg

A couple very neat sundews. I kept touching them so they would grab my finger, thinking it was an insect. Claire said to stop teasing it.
normal_oswego_7-1-06_011.jpg

Beaver
normal_oswego_7-1-06_014.jpg

Jeff

Looks like you had better luck than I did Jeff. I too set out to do the upper Oswego on Saturday. I put in at a little spot I know that puts you in above the lake. I managed to get in about 30 strokes when my paddle snapped in two. Shortest kayak trip I ever took.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We all had the same general idea. I went solo in my canoe upstream on the cedar from Dover Forge, then floated back down again. Nothing beats getting out of the canoe in the middle of the stream, waist deep, clear to the bottom and listening to the sounds of silence except for the birds. I saw a huge beaver close up. I heard him munching first, then watched him swim upstream, oblivious to me. I also found that cedar on the bottom again, 3 feet in diameter, minimum.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
BEHR655 said:
Looks like you had better luck than I did Jeff. I too set out to do the upper Oswego on Saturday. I put in at a little spot I know that puts you in above the lake. I managed to get in about 30 strokes when my paddle snapped in two. Shortest kayak trip I ever took.

Steve

That is a shame that your paddle broke. Think about it, what are the chances that we would both be at that same spot. Anyway, I think I know the spot you are talking about. That is where we turned around, Claire is pregnant and couldn't go too far. I'm going to go in there next time and follow it up. If you want, let me know when you are going again.

Jeff

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Broken paddle

Tom M and I forgot our paddles once, and rather than throw in the towel, we took the roof racks off his car and used them for paddles---not very esthetically pleasing, but they worked, sort of....can't do that with foam blocks though!!!!:)

woodjin said:
That is a shame that your paddle broke. Think about it, what are the chances that we would both be at that same spot. Anyway, I think I know the spot you are talking about. That is where we turned around, Claire is pregnant and couldn't go too far. I'm going to go in there next time and follow it up. If you want, let me know when you are going again.

Jeff

I just saw this Jeff. I'm heading out shortly to try it again. Probably be there around 10:30 or 11:00

Steve

Yesterday I put in around 11:00 at a spot just a little east of the lake. I had the river to myself which was great.

normal_Oswego1.jpg

Approxamately 1/2 mile as the crow flies from my starting point I saw this. It looked like it could have been a wier(sp?).

normal_Oswego2.jpg

Shortly after that I encountered about 1/10 of a mile of this. Very discouraging but I kept going.

normal_Oswego3.jpg

It payed off because I was rewarded with this.

normal_Oswego4.jpg

normal_Oswego5.jpg

A little while later I saw this guy leaning on his brothers.

normal_Oswego6.jpg

Not too long after that it started to get a little tougher and had to portage around a couple of blow downs. I made it to Allen's Bridge which Bob and Guy are familier with. After that there was another blow down that I did not feel like dealing with so I headed back.
On the way back I saw this and do not know it's purpose.

normal_Oswego7.jpg

When I got back to my put in spot there was an old Jeep Cherokee parked near my truck which surprised me as I saw no one on that part of the river. They could have gone downstream I guess.
I'm glad they were not there. I was so hot and sticky from bug spray that I decided to go for a little skinny dip. Sorry no pix. :D

Steve