Van Note Camp

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was doing a little research on my family history when I cam across this small gem hidden inside a timeline of Point Pleasant Beach.

1885:
Point Pleasant Hardware opens for business and James M. VanNote becomes an owner of what is later called VanNote Lumber. Both companies will be downtown business district mainstays for more than 100 years.

http://home.att.net/~ppbhist/index.htm

Point Pleasant Hardware was owned (at one point, it might have been founded) by people on my maternal grandfather's side. It's quite possible that my ancestors sold some Pine Barrens lumber cut from Van Note Camp.

Van Note Camp was a lumber camp much like Buckingham was out by Whiting. I didn't see much mentioned on it in "More Forgotten Towns" though.

I think I may try to take a ride out that way sometime before the end of the month. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I just got off the phone with my mother, who told me that the VanNotes were related to the Johnson family in some way, so it looks like I finally found my "South Jersey Connection" in Van Note Camp!

Ok, so it's a bit of a stretch, but hey -- now I won't feel so bad thinking I don't have any piney blood in me, or that I live too far north!

:bounce: