Vanity Plate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"By any measure, Exxon Mobil’s performance last year was a blowout.

The company reported Friday that it beat its own record for the highest profits ever recorded by any company, with net income rising 3 percent to $40.6 billion, thanks to surging oil prices. The company’s sales, more than $404 billion, exceeded the gross domestic product of 120 countries."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/b...em&ex=1202101200&en=575e77c5fd8688b0&ei=5087

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Working for a fortune 100 company, I can tell you that a 3% sales increase is too small for their tastes. The goal is double digit growth. My company is expected to increase by less than that next year, so is now making huge cutbacks, including laying off a rumored 10% of the staff starting this spring.

I don't get ANY of this. Where will it stop? How did this happen? Surely we cannot go on forever like this. The extremely rich get richer from fleecing the middle class. It makes me so freaking angry.

Oops. Excuse me. I think my politics are showing. :)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Forget politics & big oil.
In light of those who need, and do not have...
This is more than anything... Sad.

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Working for a fortune 100 company, I can tell you that a 3% sales increase is too small for their tastes. The goal is double digit growth. My company is expected to increase by less than that next year, so is now making huge cutbacks, including laying off a rumored 10% of the staff starting this spring.

I don't get ANY of this. Where will it stop? How did this happen? Surely we cannot go on forever like this. The extremely rich get richer from fleecing the middle class. It makes me so freaking angry.

Oops. Excuse me. I think my politics are showing. :)

I'm rather conservative, but I think we would agree here. The economics of continual growth, which are necessary to keep the whole house of cards from coming down, will someday have to give way to the economics of sustainability. Or at least one would think so, since you obvously can't grow forever.

I'd like to see a law that requires any purchase of stock to be held for a minimum of one or two years, or until some limited number of qualifying events occurs that allows it to be disposed of.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I'd like to see a law that requires any purchase of stock to be held for a minimum of one or two years, or until some limited number of qualifying events occurs that allows it to be disposed of.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
If you want to fix run away government and the need to continually expand corporate earnings, you must get rid of the central bank, it's fiat currency and fractional reserve banking. Both Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson were staunchly opposed to the central bank and the corporations that would grow up around it. They struggled to keep America free of the enslaving grip of the banker. Infact, the primary reason we went to war with England was because the Crown (and more importantly the Bank of England) wouldn't allow us to coin our own money to pay their taxes.

“The colonies would gladly have borne the little tax on tea and other matters had it not been that England took away from the colonies their money, which created unemployment and dissatisfaction. The inability of the colonists to get power to issue their own money permanently out of the hands of George III and the international bankers was the PRIME reason for the Revolutionary War.“ — Benjamin Franklin

However, we lost this long struggle against the international bankers once and for all in 1913 at Jekyll Island off the coast of Georgia where the Federal Reserve Act was drafted by Senator Nelson Aldrich, Max Warburg of Germany's Kuhn, Loeb & Co., J.P. Morgan who had ties to the Rothchild banking family (Bank of England) and John D. Rockefeller among others.

As long as Washington and the Fed have the ability to print the money on demand this will never get fixed. Indeed, it will eventually wipe out the middle class altogether.

Infact, the same banking interests which were behind the Federal Reserve eventually succeeded in the establishment of the IMF, the mechanism of the World Bank both founded through the Bretton Wood Agreements in in 1944 and ratified in 1946; which takes money directly out of our pockets and gives it to less fortunate nations. Case in point, Bill Clinton asked Congress for a multi-million dollar loan for Mexico in the 90's and when Congress said no, Bill simply circumvented our system and went directly to the IMF, who gladly took the money out of the pockets of the tax payers, through the printing press, and gave it to Mexico anyway. The Bretton Wood Agreement essentially makes the U.S. treasury the check book of the World Bank.

Our whole system is based on debt, not assets. You save your money you must pay capital gains taxes. You go into debt to buy a home or take out a student loan you get a tax credit.

In order for it to continue to be viable credit must be continually created and expanded, corporations must continually expand their market share and earnings and more natural resources must be converted to trash every day.

The catch with fiat currency is it is only as strong as the governement that enforces it and the faith in it by the people who carry it. It will, however, return to it's intrinsic value which is zero, as it has done time and again throughout history, which appears to be the direction it is currently moving. Most especially if Iran manages to get it's oil bourse, essentially an auction where oil will be traded in currecies other than the dollar, up and running. (The only reason the dollar is currently the reserve currency of the world is due to the agreement between the House of Saud, the OPEC nations and the U.S. that oil would only be traded in dollars. This mandated that all nations would now need large amounts of dollars to fill their oil needs.) Once that happens, the rest of the world will no longer be required to hold U.S. dollars and all that money, held in sovereign wealth funds, will come rushing back to our shores causing property values to plummet and the cost of commodities and household goods to suffer hyper-inflation. And, the holders of those wealth funds namely China, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Russia will be picking up U.S. property and corporations for cheap.

And let us not forget to mention the looming recession/depression we are facing. We saw the first signs of this back in the summer when the subprime meltdown led to a credit crunch where fund managers couldn't place a value on their funds due to defaulting homeowners in the U.S. The owners of the funds wanted to sell, but, because there was no way to value it no one was willing to buy it and so the whole process came to a stand still. All the Fed could do was throw more money at the problem. They have no ability to truly fix it. Most especially since we sold this toxic waste to the rest of the world.

The mortgage bankers, at the encouragement of our own government, invented exotic loans to keep the housing bubble inflating, they then packaged up these subprime loans in mortgage backed securities and sold them to hedge funds, pension funds, etc. The fund managers would then dice these securities up into collateralized debt obligations and sell them again to another fund manager and then that company would bundle up their CDO and sell parts of them as deriviatives and structured investment vehicles (MBS, CDO, SIVS).

Debt upon debt upon debt upon debt all based on a lousy subprime loan. And, all this to keep the credit expanding to stave of the necessary recession that we have been avoiding for MANY decades.

Alas, how could we expect anything less than people treating their homes as assets rather than liabilities and the insatiable need for credit card debt, when this type of economics is used by their own government. A government that forgot what economics were 95 years ago.

Sorry for the rant.

Tom

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
Tom - great post. I have read that quote from Franklin before, but I've never seen its source quoted. I searched google books and the Franklin papers online but couldn't find where he wrote it.

It seems to be quoted second hand frequently; someone mentioned it was in the Autobiography, but I didn't find it there. I'm a little suspicious that it is actually a Franklin quote; and if it is genuine, would be interested in the context of the quote.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Tom - great post. I have read that quote from Franklin before, but I've never seen its source quoted. I searched google books and the Franklin papers online but couldn't find where he wrote it.

It seems to be quoted second hand frequently; someone mentioned it was in the Autobiography, but I didn't find it there. I'm a little suspicious that it is actually a Franklin quote; and if it is genuine, would be interested in the context of the quote.

Enoch,

I don't have the original source and perhaps Jerseyman can shine some light on it. I, too, have come across it on numerous occasions during my research on the international banking cartel and the Federal Reserve. If it isn't a genuine Franklin quote, then I regret using it.

Regardless, we struggled as a nation to keep out of the clutches of a central bank for 137 years. First we had the approval from Congress in 1775 to issue the $6 million continental dollars, our first experiment with fiat money. Between 1775 and 1780 Congress increased the money supply from the original issue of $6 million to over $225 million continental dollars. This led to rempant inflation and the eventual collapse of the continental. "Not worth a Continental."

Next came Robert Morris' Bank of North America. This was the first fractional reserve commercial bank in the U.S., privately owned and modeled after the Bank of England. Through government charter, the bank was given monopoly charter to issue paper notes and immediately loaned Congress $1.2 million. It wasn't long before the market place perceived that Morris' bank was inflating it's currency in relation to specie and by 1783 the Bank of North America lost it's status and reverted back to a private commercial bank.

In 1791 Congress established the First Bank of the United States with Thomas Willing, a former partner of Robert Morris, as it's president. Again, the bank immediately starting inflating the money supply. The Jeffersonians defeated the renewal of it's charter in 1811.

And then, of course, comes Nicholas Biddle and Andrew Jackson, the most famous and hard fought struggle between the central bank and the people.

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for all the great info Tom, Andrew Jackson i consider to be one of our greatest Presidents, except for one belief of his.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, he was deeply flawed on the Indian issue. It is sad.

That was another belief issue that i forgot to mention which you have brought up, thanks, i should have been more specific on the belief issue that i was thinking about, slavery.

He had a lot of free blacks fighting at The Battle Of New Orleans,but that did not soften him on the issue.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004

After some investigation, it appears that the quote is either not authentic or is not verbatim, as the term unemployment appears to have not been coined until the latter half of the 19th century. I had taken it for granted as it has appeared numerous times...sorry.

Regardless, the struggle for our independence from the central bankers of the world is a well documented fact.

Mayer Rothschild of the Rothschild banking family of England famoulsy stated: "Give me control of a country's money and I care not who makes the laws".

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
That was another belief issue that i forgot to mention which you have brought up, thanks, i should have been more specific on the belief issue that i was thinking about, slavery.

He had a lot of free blacks fighting at The Battle Of New Orleans,but that did not soften him on the issue.

Yes, that was another character flaw. As far as preserving the Republic, though, he is second only to Jefferson and for that he deserves great respect.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
After some investigation, it appears that the quote is either not authentic or is not verbatim, as the term unemployment appears to have not been coined until the latter half of the 19th century. I had taken it for granted as it has appeared numerous times...sorry.

Regardless, the struggle for our independence from the central bankers of the world is a well documented fact.

Thanks for looking that up Tom. I had read that quote a number of times but had never bothered to check up on it until today, and it does seem apocryphal. The terms "unemployment" and "international" do not seem to be the kind of language Ben would have used.