Various From This Morning

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Our first stop this morning was at Coyle Field. I saw a photo on Facebook from a hill at that location where I have visited many times. Here is a photo just before sunset I took on 8/8/2004.

coyle.jpg

We had gone there to specifically watch the sunset.

IMG_3988a.jpg

Anyway, I decided to take a photo from a different location which shows the hill we were on that evening. If you can, view it full screen.

DSC_0355a.jpg

From there we visited a location the two of us have been going to for almost 20 years. Today for the first time we saw more than the usual evidence of Coyotes, either playing or doing something else.

DSC_0360a.jpg

We then traveled to Webb's Mill and checked on the beaver dam. Various individuals, known and unknown, have been working hard to keep it open, and doing a great job! From my dash cam.
pipe.jpg

Then to Stafford Forge where we searched for a stone. Right where we ended up along a dirt road we came upon a chunk of concrete with the blue paw prints we discussed in the past.

Then we visited this new cut in the woods that apparently is a rye field. Maybe.

It turns out there is another one just above it that has been recently made.

DSC_0366a.jpg

My top tracks head to the new field not shown on the new aerials.
rye.jpg

Last edited:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Just by looking at the map, that open area seems to be a rye field. What I don't understand is that .31 miles away up Old Forge Road, there are four more open areas that date back to at least 1995, looking like rye fields. Why the need for two more in that area? Looking at the NYPB Maps, that open area does not appear on the 2015 Aerial but does on the Satellite view.

One other observation, looking at Historic Arial, that open area does not show on their 2015 and 2017 aerials at all. What year is the Satellite view?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has to be late 2019 as on Google Earth the rye field that shows up is not there until 2019. Maybe it might have been taken in 2018. Not sure.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I'm not sure if I read it here or somewhere else. Isn't there work being done somewhere in Stafford Forge to cultivate the broom crowberry?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
There hasn't been talk of Wells Mills in a while. The last time it showed a breach of the road. From your latest photo, I assume the road breach has been repaired?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
What I read on the Net, back in 2018, the DEP initiated a Broom Crowberry Habitat Restoration Project in the Stafford Forge WMA. They began bulldozing "scrapes" on the surface of soil adjacent to broom crowberry populations. Broom crowberry seeds typical disperse within a short distance, so the scrapes must be placed within several feet of existing populations.

It appears that the picture on the attachment is the irregular white open areas just south of Bombing Range Road,

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
What I read on the Net, back in 2018, the DEP initiated a Broom Crowberry Habitat Restoration Project in the Stafford Forge WMA. They began bulldozing "scrapes" on the surface of soil adjacent to broom crowberry populations. Broom crowberry seeds typical disperse within a short distance, so the scrapes must be placed within several feet of existing populations.

It appears that the picture on the attachment is the irregular white open areas just south of Bombing Range Road,

Thanks for the additional info. Funny, just prior to your post I was looking at the satellite view of this area