Visit to Apple Pie Hill Tower

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning my kids and I walked a small section of the JCRR, but more on the rails in another post. We then traveled to Apple Pie Hill before noon and noticed it was manned. I had not been inside in 30 years, so I was hoping my kids could experience it also. Right on cue he opened the door and asked us up, which we gratefully accepted.

At one things started to happen. Phone calls and radio transmission were being exchanged rapidly, and he quickly told us there was a training fire in progress which he pointed out to us. The calls that were not important he quickly cut short telling them that he had visitors. He was very nice and friendly. Things quieted down and we starting discussing a wide range of subjects. First, I pointed out that even thought it was cloudy, It seemed that visibility was excellent. He quickly pointed out Philadelphia which he estimated to be around 40 to 45 miles as the crow flies. I had been there many times in years gone by, and that was the first time I was able to see Philly. Air pollution in my opinion has improved since the 70's. We were also able to see Bear Swamp Hill, the Hospital in Browns Mills, and many other places in the distance.

I asked him what he did when he was not manning the tower and he informed me he has many things to do. The state builds their own fire trucks and they must be reinforced to cut through the woods by knocking down trees. Maintenance is high on vehicles like this so he is involved in that. He also travels west when the fires you hear about on the news are happening.

Quickly the conversation stopped when he received a call informing him of a real reported fire. A few quick glances and he located it and pointed it out to us. The Lebanon tower had coordinance on it and needed another tower's input. He pulled down a map from the ceiling, and using Lebanon's info he tacked a string across the map. He then used the sexton like instrument that is in the center of the tower and forwarded in the info to headquarters. He then went to the map and ran a string on the map from his location to the fire. This triangulated it and they knew exactly where it was. It was in the Brown's Mills Pemberton area. We watched the fire as it spread, with the dark smoke growing larger. Within 5 minutes we heard reports of the trucks getting to the area. He told us to watch for the smoke to turn white. That meant that water was sealing the fire's fate. Sure enough the smoke tuned white and the fire was at it's end.

Remembering some of our posts, I asked him if he knew who owned the tracks especially in the Chatsworth area and he was unsure. So the mystery continues if the cranberry farmers own the track rights, and if they are free to walk in the Chatsworth area.

He seemed to enjoy our company as much as we did his, but there was a downside to it. There is not much room to walk around in there, forcing me to be next to the heater. By next to it I mean inches. It was hot and getting uncomfortable. I could see that it was also getting to my daughters, so I thanked him for the invite and regrettably left. Before I did I asked if I could take a picture inside, and then asked if he wanted to be in it, which he was uncomfortable with. So I don't think he would be interested in Rob Blanda's suggestion to videotape him. Hopefully I am wrong and someone will.

Here is a photo I took inside the tower.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/APH-Tower.jpg

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I am friends with many former and current tower attendents. It can often be a very boring job and I know few of them that will not welcome the chance to do some "entertaining" up there. It is always a good idea to ask first though. I've been in several towers and the Apple Pie Hill one is my favorite by far. Nowhere else can you get such a feel for the expanse and majesty of the pine barrens.

As far as the old railroad bed goes, the last I heard it was owned by New Jersey Transit, who holds it for its obvious potential. The track from Woodmansie to Lakehurst was ownd by Clayton Sand and Gravel, the last I heard. This is a holdover from the days when Conrail abandoned that section due to its poor condition and the limited money to be made on that line. Clayton purchased it and contracted with an out of state railroad to run hoppers from his pit at Woodmansie to Lakehurst where they were transfered to Conrail. After the track conditions became too poor even for him, and resulting costly derailments, Clayton switched to tandems and dump trailers exclusively. These have become large and efficient enough to give railroads a run for their money, with the advantage of being able to deliver directly from the mines to the worksites, without transfer between train and truck. I still root for the trains though. Besides environmental advantages, I just plain like 'em!

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I've been inside the Batsto tower and to the top of the Apple Pie tower, but not inside. I say both of them offer great views that give you a feel for the expanse and majesty of the Pine Barrens. I can't decide between the two.
By the way, Batsto is a 100' tower and Apple Pie is a 60 footer. I'm not sure of the elevation that the Batsto tower sits on, but of course we all know that the Apple Pie tower is over 200 feet above the surrounding area.
Barry
German wrote:
"I've been in several towers and the Apple Pie Hill one is my favorite by far. Nowhere else can you get such a feel for the expanse and majesty of the pine barrens."

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
I was also up on Apple Pie this weekend and saw that the tower was manned, but I didn't get invited up. I also noticed that the towers at Four Mile and the one on 539 just north of 72 were manned. Who mans them? I was confused when I saw that there was someone in the tower, but no forestry service truck. He just had his pickup.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
The guy up in the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower, Guy, sounds alot like the guy who invited me and a friend up this past summer. He told me he was involved in maintenance of the specially equipped fire fighting vehicles. I've also been to the Basto tower. Both forest service guys were hospitable, but the guy at Apple Pie Hill seemed to be more openly enthusiastic and more talkative than the guy at Basto. I also remember that, while being natural, the guy at Apple Pie Hill seemed to also have a point where he remained official. Also, the guy told me he has gone out west on forest fires, as some kind of manager. He said he had gone to a regular fire fighting school but learned much more on the job, which he had been on for about 20 years. He was also involved in prosecuting arsonists.

When I visited Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower, there was a small fire going on. The guy explained what he was doing with maps and triangulation, etc. and pointed out where the fire was and what the crew was doing. He proudly said that the directions he gave them led them very close to the fire area, explaining that one cannot pinpoint the fire exactly but get the crew as close as possible and they search for the fire on their own.

I don't exactly remember the view from the Basto tower, which I visited several years ago. I remember the view from Apple Pie Hill though. It was a great view. You couldn't see the trees for the forest.