Visiting a Swamp 8 Years Later

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

If anyone knows where this location is at, please keep it to yourself.

After 8 years I visited a fascinating swamp again to see it for the first time in the warmer weather. Accompanying me was bobpbx and Jessica. It is a very dangerious place to be because of the scary holes that one can fall into at any time. We had reminded Jessica again of this fact but she still managed to fall into one. In the process her walking stick disappeared in the deep, and after Bob and I spent a considerable amount of time up to our armpit trying to find it, she was able to reach down and find it herself.

Jessica after the event. Sorry but the sun through the trees makes it hard to get a good photo.

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

An amazing place.

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

The strange Algae

IMG_1777.JPG

Video's if you are interested.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, looks like you had a great Saturday. I have seen algae that looked similar in the cold water streamlets surrounding a couple of iron ore rich bogs I have visited. Some of it had an orange tint though. Beautiful pictures!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Pink Boots in the Swamp and some great shots! Glad you Guys and Gal had a fun day.Enjoyed the Videos! Like the Algae swamp Look like Zombie Brains:eek:...........Wonder how that would taste on a fresh Roll

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Because of the size of her feet, she has to buy boots for kids which are hard to find. Her last pair we found at WalMart, not the best of quality, and we could not find a new pair. So she had to order these from their website and the only color was pink. We are going to take them out of my trunk during the summer next year unless she needs them.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LaCrosse makes a nice boot they fit like a glove ,wont slep off a little pricey but will last a life time.

True, but they don't have them in childs size. Jessica is an adult but weighs 100 pounds and has child size feet. I have even written to various boot companies and they don't sell adult boots in her size. The boots she has now so far are the only ones we have found that are close to being as high as she needs to travel in swamps. In the summer she has resorted to just wearing sneakers, but the winter is a challange.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, have you or Bobpbx matched the algae to a name? I have only seen that in the cooler cedar areas.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We haven't tried. It was not our main reason for being there.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Guy, I've visited so many beautiful swamps in the pines I couldn't identify the location of this one. As far as boots go, Lacrosse is the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I wear steel tipped for work and Lacrosse are great. They are finally wearing out and I can't find them, but that's what I'd prefer to buy. The picture of the "moss island" was really nice.
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lacrosse has a complete line of children sizes Guy:

The problem Scott is the boots there that she needs are only 9 inches high. That is way too short. The pink ones she now has are 15 inches high which we have not been able to find anywhere except WalMart. And they are of somewhat poor quality.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I like the one you chose but I think it is a canidate for HDR, it would make it leap. Maybe the time of day would help also. Sometimes I can't seem to capture what my eyes see.

The boots came out well. :)