Visiting old haunts with Pan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Member "Pan" (Larry) is in NJ and we decided to meet today in Chatsworth to visit many of the old places he remembers from years ago along with a few new locations. You may remember Pan from this photo he provided to us.

friendship-nj-pb-22sep1971-jpg.1556

We met at noon in Chatsworth across from Hot Diggity Dog and then proceeded to Penn Forest. Without the help of a previous traveler down Lost Land Road our day would have ended quickly. I could not see the washout from the rain this past week, and only the sticks left in the road saved us. We added a few more.

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Then to Bear Swamp Hill. We were discussing McPhee's book, and on the first page of that book he was in the tower so we decided to visit since Pan had not been there before. The road leading up was always uncertain, but because of the recent rain it is impassible with a car like mine.

Larry sizing things up.

IMG_0832.JPG

We then traveled to the gate at Sim Place and noticed there must have been quite a washout at the bridge across the Papoose Branch by the two bogs before the gate. It has been fixed but the water obviously was flowing right across it. Some of the wood seems in bad shape.

Then to Oswego Lake, Friendship, Alloway's Rock, Carranza, and then to Hampton Park. It really is quite frustrating to see how people treat that place. There must have been a huge party there recently and there are hundred's of beer cans and plastic cups thrown all over the area around the ruins. It really shows how little people respect state property, and I am afraid this behavior will make it harder on all of us in the future.

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

Then to Atsion and eventually to Apple Pie Hill. With the gate blocking vehicles from getting up there the vegitation is taking over. To me it looked so much better with the dirt. I don't like the place even more. I say remove the gate.

IMG_0836.JPG

It was really clear today and we were able to see Philadelphia better than I have ever before.

With my basic point and shoot.

IMG_0839.JPG

Larry waving to all of you.

IMG_0842.JPG

He didn't want to come down :)

IMG_0847.JPG

Then back to Chatsworth and we headed home. I am not so sure Larry did though :) It was an interesting day and I want to thank Larry for spending a few hours with Jessica and myself.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Larry
I see you had your cuffs tucked in for chiggers.My wife was laughing at me today on a walk we took because i did the same thing.I noticed your shirt hanging out though.Did you get any chiggers on your belly? I've had them up as far as my chest before.

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
What a great day! You guys hit almost all of the spots I have on my list for the next couple months (I'm just getting started in my explorations).

The visibility in the fall is amazing (well familiar with this from boating) and that view of Philadelphia with a point-and-shoot is awesome. Cannot wait to go myself. Glad to hear the roads are mostly passable. I was planning on taking a couple jaunts through the pines last week but shied away because of the recent storms and the resulting warnings from NJDEP.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Nice! That must be a great feeling for larry coming back to rediscover the pines! Also, with you for a guide makes it even better!

I like the Philly skyline picture. With not being a big fan of heights, I have never been to the top of the tower. What a view!

Chris

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If i feel like I can see philly I normally close my eyes and look east. I like to think in my mind that its nowhere near me when i'm out there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
After 18 years of daily commutes to Philadelphia, I take great pride in the fact that I haven't crossed the bridge for almost a year and a half now. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After 18 years of daily commutes to Philadelphia, I take great pride in the fact that I haven't crossed the bridge for almost a year and a half now. :D

Proud of you I am!

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Larry
I see you had your cuffs tucked in for chiggers.My wife was laughing at me today on a walk we took because i did the same thing.I noticed your shirt hanging out though.Did you get any chiggers on your belly? I've had them up as far as my chest before.

I tuck my trousers into white socks and spray the socks with DEET for ticks. I've never been troubled with chiggers, not that I know of. Maybe they are some nice new thing down there since I stopped haunting those woods years ago. As for the shirt - duh, I never thought of that - and yes indeed, I've had ticks along the belt line in the past! I'll try to remember to tuck my shirt in.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Nice! That must be a great feeling for larry coming back to rediscover the pines! Also, with you for a guide makes it even better!

I like the Philly skyline picture. With not being a big fan of heights, I have never been to the top of the tower. What a view!

Chris

I miss those enchanted woods. You could see Atlantic City from the fire tower too. Guy said it was the clearest day he ever saw down there. And yes, it was some view - forest as far as the eye could see - and there we were, in the heart of New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the union!

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
...I've had ticks along the belt line in the past! I'll try to remember to tuck my shirt in.

Not to mention groin, armpits, legs, behind the ears, scalp, back, and almost everyplace else!

I do not like ticks. I hate them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Philthydelphia? Hey, I work over there! I have taken that bridge every day since late December 2007, but the view is always better from the PATCO trains.

In 2025 you will have crossed that bridge as many times as I have. You may start getting tired of the view by then. :D

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona

Yeah, that day was great. One single brilliant, sunny day back again in my beloved old Pine Barrens. Thanks again, Guy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We should have gone to the pine plains and taken a photo of you similar to your Avatar. A nice Then and Now.