IMG_7355a.jpg

IMG_7356a.jpg

IMG_7360a.jpg

IMG_7364a.jpg

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Do you search for frogs by sight or sound, both? I can hear them from my house at night and always want to wander over and have a look-see. If you are still and silent will they ignore you? Just curious how to go about seeing them.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Good thing you had to hang around while the frogs warmed up, Whip-- good for us, anyway. These are lovely photos. Can't decide which I like best: the first and last, definitely; and then there's #5. And #7 also . . . Oh, I'll take one of each. Thank you!

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Do you search for frogs by sight or sound, both? I can hear them from my house at night and always want to wander over and have a look-see. If you are still and silent will they ignore you? Just curious how to go about seeing them.

Usually by ear, Pancoast. Frogs might quiet momentarily when sensing a space incursion this time of year, but the urge to sing eventually overcomes them. If photography is your goal, a head lamp is essential. Tree frogs are usually in trees (duh) or grass. Frogs in the water are rather simple to find, if the water source is heavily populated ... even if they're not singing. Bullfrogs, especially, and their eyes reflect right back to you. They'll even smile. :)

Glo ... thank you. Come back.

Alfie ... at least your bald spot isn't a result of receding. You simply need to start taking it easier in those briar patches.

IMG_7328_Paintings.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You need to wear a hat :)

Guy

your right Guy I do need a hat.I have been having trouble getting accurate gps readings lately and assumed it was the solar cycle peaking that was wreaking havoc with the satellite signals but I've now come to the conclusion it's my chrome dome.The sattelites are bouncing signals off by top knot and it's not properlyregistering at my gps 18 inches below it.
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
first avenue bog out

Alfie'd heard frogs near the Tuckahoe River a week or so back, so I solo'd to the waterway's general vicinity this afternoon, arriving six hours before sunset (a bad habit of mine), which is six hours before the crooning begins; so began a long waiting process. There was plenty to hear and take during the wait (boids), lots of wandering to do, and reading material is stacked a mile high in the back seat of the truck.

Oh, then there's the traditional camera stroll, 'bout halfway thru the waiting ...

aa-1.jpg

bb-1.jpg

cc.jpg

dd.jpg

ee.jpg

ff.jpg

gg.jpg

hh.jpg

ii.jpg

kk.jpg

mm.jpg

nn.jpg

oo.jpg

When dusk finally arrived, the frogs, with the exception of a handful of "greens," remained silent.

Next year...

IMG_8323.jpg

ll.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I swears they was greys,pbtf's and greens when i was there last week.the greys were calling outside my winder last night.wonder why they wasn't there too?that is a purty area.i was there at night.never seen the ponds before.I feel so unneeded now.Whip went to an officially new place without me to guide him.sure i gave directions to the pond but he had to wander 100 ft off the road to a new place and he didn't have me.I knew i should've never talked him to getting a gps.I have just been replaced by machinery:-( Now the whole barrens lay open before him and I can hear him shouting arrogantly into the wind "I don't need you anymore Alfie!)

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
. . . so began a long waiting process. There was plenty to hear and take during the wait . . . the traditional camera stroll, 'bout halfway thru the waiting ...

When dusk finally arrived, the frogs . . . remained silent.

Next year...

It's a whole symphony of lovely greens, Whip, and your mushrooms look good enough to eat. What fun to think of all those invisible spectators watching you with their froggish eyes, obstinately silent. Mic shy, as you put it.

Yes, next year. Better than ever. We're looking forward to it.

Glo

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
.I knew i should've never talked him to getting a gps.I have just been replaced by machinery:-( Now the whole barrens lay open before him and I can hear him shouting arrogantly into the wind "I don't need you anymore Alfie!)

Nope. Say it ain't so, Alfie. Just wouldn't be the same without you. Come to think of it, maybe that's what was wrong with those frogs that evening--they knew you weren't there. :)

Glo