Walk on the Beach

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
While reading and responding to another thread, I thought this might be a good place to show what is blooming or calling my part ofthe Pines home.

I live with in about a 1/2 block of our main lake. The lakes here were cranberry bogs in the late 1800's early 1900's. I have lived here my whole life and as a child remember wild flowers growing on the beach.

Last March while walking the dog along the water I found the beach in bloom with Lance Leaf Violas. Since getting a camera, I take weekly walks to see what's blooming. Two weeks ago there were Yellow Flags in amongst the reeds and Sundew covering the ground. Today, for the first time since I was a kid...there were Blue Flags.
Sundew.jpgBlue Flags1.jpg

Then I noticed the ground "crawling". Apparently my walking on the damp soil brought tiny frog/toads out of the ground. They left little holes. I don't know what they are. They are about a bit larger than a pencil eraser, maybe about 3/8"long. They are slate grey and have an "X" like marking on their back. Does anbody know what they are?
Tiny Frog.jpgTiny Frog1.jpg

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I also found a plant growing away from the water. Under the oaks and huckleberries. There were a few smaller ones on the beach. I have no idea what it is, never seen them before. Does any one know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 292

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I don't know the official name but they are baby toads. Probably just emerged from the water. Thanks for the flower pics. Living in Florida, it's good to see some of the true beauty that is my home state.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I really like your iris--what a lovely shade of blue! The green plants are pretty, and they have interesting foliage. I hope someone like pbxbob strolls by and can identify them for us.
I'm curious about the toads/frogs too. They're plenty cute, but it always helps to have a name.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Glo

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
took another walk and didn't see anything more blooming until I gingerly pushed my way through the phragmites and was greeted by Swamp Candles. This was the first time I've seen them here.

Swamp Candles close up.jpg

Milkweed was in bud as well as a button bush. I didn't hang around too long, redwing blackbirds were nesting in the phragmites and were harrassing me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw the red wing blackbirds bothering other birds yesterday when we were out. They are relentless. Nice photo!

Guy

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Earlier this week I stopped at the beach before leaving for work

The mist was still on the lakeEarly Morning.jpg As I got out of the car, in the little wooded island on the sand road leading to the dam, I found Helleborine Orchids. While trying to ID them, I found these are not native to the pines but actually introduced from "the Old World" as noted in Howard Boyd's "Wild Flowers of the PB of NJ".
Helleborine Orchids.jpg
I walked down by the water and found Meadow Beauty in bloom as well as Golden Crest in bloom.Golden Crest1.jpgMeadow Beauty close up.jpgGolden Hedge Hyssop.jpgAnd then there was what I believe to be Golden Hedge-Hyssop blooming at the waters edge.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
The last time I walked the beach I was harrassed by Red Wing Birds, this time I was followed by a dragon fly. It flitted from reed to grass all around me...either it wanted it's picture taken or was curious about what I was doing. Finally it sat still long enough for me to take it's picture.
Dragon Fly.jpgWhat a glorious way to start the day......
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork"

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
This past week's walk found a Coppery St John's Wort (?), both Meadow Beauty and Maryland Meadow Beauty. It's is amazing the color difference. I found A Dodder wrapping itself around a Meadow Beauty. Dodders are pretty interesting. Sweet Pepper Bush is in bud as well as Marsh Mallows.

I went in the phragmites to see what was blooming in there. I startled a green frog, though this one did not "scream" like one we startled in Wharton. I found two plants I haven't been able to id. One has leaves similar to mint or sage, but are not aromatic. It has small blue flowers. And another plant with very tiny white flowers. They have both 3 and 4 petal flowers.

Farther up the beach were 4 ducks, a male mallard, a black duck hybrid and two mallard hybrids. I wa ssurprised by the difference in size. The three were much larger than the mallard.

Bass fry were in the shallows and as I waded along the edge, I found a sundew in bud. Should be blooming in the next day or so.

It's a pretty relaxing way to shift gears from work away from home and getting dinner and such once I get home.

Attachments

• IMG_6812.jpg
    IMG_6812.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_6825.jpg
    IMG_6825.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_6836.jpg
    IMG_6836.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_6889a.jpg
    IMG_6889a.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 281

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dragonfly photo's are always nice to see! Thanks.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
What a fantastic set of photos, thank you for sharing them, they made me smile since I miss NJ a lot, and I miss the pines most of all, I think. What a fortunate person you are to have all of that right in your own back yard.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
thanks to all of you responding....sometimes you do take for granted the little things in your own back yard. As I write this Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz came to mind.

The lake services as my "Piney Fix" when I can't get out into the "big" woods. I am amazed at all that's here in less than an acre of space!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
thanks to all of you responding....sometimes you do take for granted the little things in your own back yard. As I write this Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz came to mind.

There's no place like home ... There's no place like home.

Thanks for posting often.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
You certainly have an eye for lovely details. I especially like the Meadow Beauty--too bad about the dodder sucking its life away! What a beautiful "backyard" you have!

Glo

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Last week my husband and I paddled the lake upstream to the submerged dam. A remnant from the cranberry bog days. Earlier this summer the dam was submergerd and the waterflow wouldn't allow you to paddle over. This time most of the dam was high and dry, with only a small area where the water was running over it. The water was so shallow that if you tried to go outside the channel you'd end up getting stuck in the muck.

Sweetpepper bush heavily scented the air.

While checking out a turtle resting on a stump I came acros a Purple Bladderwort. First time I have seen one! They are beautiful. It was the only one on the lake.

IMG_7379a.jpg
View attachment 1900

My husband caught a nice pickerel and had a couple of hits from a bass.

View attachment 1902IMG_7371.jpg

A kingfisher landed in a dead cedar and used it as a vantage point for catching dinner. I watched him dive but couldn't see if he actually caught anything.

View attachment 1903IMG_7391a.jpg

Before we headed back, we were treated to a beautiful sunset. Nice way to kill a couple of hours in the evening!
IMG_7359.jpgView attachment 1901IMG_7395.jpg

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Things have been a little slow on the beach. The last couple of visits though have been a treat to the eyes. From the road the area looks to be a stretch of weeds, but get close and there is blooming everywhere.

Blue Curls, a couple of Golden Rods, Bonesets, Asters and Sunflowers. A very tine "pea" flower along with another tiny flowering plant. Then there were these green spikes along what was the edge of the lake....might be the Ladies Tresses that started this for me, returning again this year.

With the lack of rain the lake is now down to almost the channel and the lily pads are now completely out of the water. So glad for the rain last night.

IMG_7759.jpgIMG_7823a.jpgIMG_7763.jpgIMG_7854.jpgIMG_7750.jpgsorry if they are a bit out of focus...everytime I'm out there, there is this darn breeze. And I guess I'll start carrying the tripod.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
The blooming is winding down. This week there were plenty of Purple Asters on the sandy part of the beach as well as along the water. The Ladies Tresses are out in force. This past summer's walks have truely made me appreciate an area I've taken for granted.

I left a little earlier for work the other day to catch the sunrise. I wasn't disappointed!IMG_8170_2.jpgIMG_8176_2.jpgDew on a Aster.jpgIMG_8240.jpgIMG_8242.jpg
pencil.png