WARNING East Plains

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
If you walk or drive the East Plains you need to be very careful as there are persons who are using the area to shoot wildly at whatever they can find.

It seems they are using a large caliber handgun, and 22's and BB's. While the BB's may be less of a threat. Certainly the 22's and larger are life threatening.

The area in Warren Grove where the Airsoft targets were set up. Have all been shot with large calibers now.

It seems they are taking aim at whatever they chose.

Interesting is that I cannot locate the shells. So either it is a revolver, or they are carefully picking up the shells.

Most of the signs on my property have been shot, as well the makeshift fences, and personal items on my property.

I have am recovering the bullets that have been shot into items on my property. I know law enforcement cannot do anything and I pretty much come under suspicion because I am in the isolated area hiking, running etc where law enforcement thinks we are not permitted. So I no longer report these incidents.

But BE VERY CAREFUL as I have walked up on some who out of nowhere just start shooting at whatever they see and they ARE NOT careful of the background at all.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If you walk or drive the East Plains you need to be very careful as there are persons who are using the area to shoot wildly at whatever they can find...............

I have am recovering the bullets that have been shot into items on my property. I know law enforcement cannot do anything and I pretty much come under suspicion because I am in the isolated area hiking, running etc where law enforcement thinks we are not permitted. So I no longer report these incidents.

But BE VERY CAREFUL as I have walked up on some who out of nowhere just start shooting at whatever they see and they ARE NOT careful of the background at all.

Thanks for the warning, but it probably should be reported to someone. This is obviously illegal and someone could get killed. Just curious why you feel that these actions would not be dealt with if reported.
Good Luck.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you walk or drive the East Plains you need to be very careful as there are persons who are using the area to shoot wildly at whatever they can find.

It seems they are using a large caliber handgun, and 22's and BB's. While the BB's may be less of a threat. Certainly the 22's and larger are life threatening.

The area in Warren Grove where the Airsoft targets were set up. Have all been shot with large calibers now.

It seems they are taking aim at whatever they chose.

Interesting is that I cannot locate the shells. So either it is a revolver, or they are carefully picking up the shells.

Most of the signs on my property have been shot, as well the makeshift fences, and personal items on my property.

Thanks for the heads up, I passed by yesterday and saw a white van out there, was that you? Perhaps if more people 'reported' it, they might take it serious. But they will probably wait until someone gets hurt, or worse. Did you ever report it to the number I posted some time back? Those folks normally take everything serious, more so if its near a military site.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Grrrrrrrrr! Did you see the hot tub and crap somebody dumped across the street?

We can pat ourselves on the back all we like being local fans of the pine barrens but the truth of the matter is most of this type of stuff is done by locals who don't give a sh*t. It was all local people who were trashing Phoenix, setting their boat on fire, smashing windows and electrical boxes, etc.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I reported it before and seemingly no one was interested if I did not have a shooter in place. Plus then I am questioned why I am out there, etc, etc.

State police think is all owned by military, DEP, they are to busy elsewhere, conservation officer, well they are swamped too.

However, the police really have more important things to do then sit and wait in the woods for some idiot.

Anyway be careful....in the wild East Plains.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
where law enforcement thinks we are not permitted.

Have they said this to you? If they have that is pretty lame of them if you told them you owned property at that location. Shooting your sign is destruction and they should investigate.

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Yes that was my van.

I would have to check back on the number you are talking about.

Well the signs are flimsy metal, however, the bullets tore through them and went in all directions along with a few items of insignificant value on my property some 200 feet from the road.

Before the snow I tracked the footprints from my property up a trail back to the pit area where someone parked.

I have not seen the hot tub. Have not been down much till this weekend.

A few months back someone dumped 20 + bags and styrofoam, and empy boxes etc, in the woods on Bombing Range road which I brought out to the roadway.

Few more TV's and such in the pit area and I dragged those out to the roadway to be picked up.

Anyway it may be the locals. However, shooting a firearm when we who enjoy the pines are all out in different locations. Is heading to someone being killed.

Last year a few times I had to prove to law enforcement I as to be where I was when on my property so I have my deed with me. The were LEH Twnsp and were great.

I know there was Ak's etc fired a few months ago too. I think I called whoever I could and well no one seemed interested unless there was a shooter there.

Now I understand there are more important issues perhaps for law enforcement. But I am certain a few hundred casings laying on a street in a residential setting would perhaps be worthy of an investigation. Over the fact that these are in a somewhat isolated area of the pines.

Also the shooting in the pit area is normally toward the east a few hundred yards from 539.

Perhaps one day I may encounter those who shoot closer to me. Then I probably will get in trouble for self defense.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I reported it before and seemingly no one was interested if I did not have a shooter in place. Plus then I am questioned why I am out there, etc, etc.

State police think is all owned by military, DEP, they are to busy elsewhere, conservation officer, well they are swamped too.

However, the police really have more important things to do then sit and wait in the woods for some idiot.

Anyway be careful....in the wild East Plains.

I would not give up; you pay taxes for their services, especially to help stop something that is destroying your property and could kill you or some innocent person that might get shot on your property. Then the problems would really start. You might want to get a copy of your tax bill and a print off of your lot/block, most are online, then visit the local State Police station, probably Tuckerton, and speak to the senior officer. If that doesn't get results, contact your friendly state representitive, they hate to hear complaints that might get into the newspapers :D

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the inout from everyone.

I carry my documents with me when on the property since i have been questioned several times by Conservation and police while on the property.

I have been contacted by local preservation group for me to donate it, and also some hunters were interested in it.

What was interesting is that the state green acres people removed from their maps in 09 the outline of the property and included as part of the WMA.

Seems many are interested in this unique location of it, as it is surrounded by the WMA. Perhaps someone I did not sell it to came by to force me to sell.

I know some guys I have run into with 4 wheelers last year were very pissed at me confronting their travels down the road and through my property and up in the sand pit.

I do know I have spoken to DEP and WMA and Conservation about the ongoing shooting in the pit area. As I have said they don't do anything to discourage it, nor to keep it clean.