Warren Grove Clean-up & Preservation

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I am seeking persons who would be interested in participating in a clean up of a location near the Warren Grove Range.

There is a large area where many persons have been shooting over the years and have dump numerous amounts of trash and items they have used as targets.

I have contact NJ DEP and NJ Fish and Game. I must say they are not too helpful.

However, as I continue to arrange for assistance to clean and remove the debris from this area.

I am hoping others would like to participate in forming a group to preserve this area. The elevation makes this location an excellent place to enjoy the large expanse of the pines.

My family and I will be planting about 200 Pitch Pine seedlings we have purchased from the NJ Forestry service on a piece of property just north of the proposed clean-up area.

I would love to see this area preserved and brought back to some non erosion dumping condition.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

Mike

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Sounds great thanks !

I am waiting for some calls back from State folks on who really is responsible for the area.

Seems like it is DEP. But no one knows who should keep it clean and green !

I do know some 10 years ago most of the area was replanted with pitch seedlings and the area was never sactioned off. So everyone drove their ATV's al over them and it is really eroding.

One area right near the entrance to the bombing range had old telephone poles placed as a makeshift fence and the seedlings have been growing, although there is still some tracks through them at times. I would say the entire area covers 15 acres.

Will post photos of the dumping soon.

Thanks,

Mike

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Freerider,

I would ask one thing of you, though its your property and I suppose you can do what you want with it. That area has Broom Crowberry (Corema conradii), a state endangered species. It is very rare, and in NJ only found in the pine plains. Try not to disturb any of that as you plant your seedlings.

Also, be advised that those seedlings are likely not genetically the same as the pygmy pines. They'll grow taller if they grow in that soil at all, and they won't have the same gnarly look we have come to love.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for that input. I am not going to disturb the area more then has already occurred.

Seems atvs and such have beaten a good path into the area off the road already.

The Pitch Pine is what is growing along the roadway.

I could not find any forester help since it is only an acre in size no one from state was interested. I was planning on planting along roadway as this is where the Pitch Pines are somewhat present and been previous to last two fires as seen by the burned trees on ground.

I have been having a hard time keeping the dirt bikes out when I am not around they seem to ramble all the area.

I would like to keep it as original as possible.

I would love your input if you would like to provide me your guidance and perhaps pay me a visit.

Anyway to plant more pygmy pines?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I thought the area indicated by the 2nd Google link is part of Stafford Forge WMA. Was there a private inholding I wasn't aware of?

I'd like to second Bob's concern about the Broom Crowberry. Since it is a species that grows in open, disturbed areas, protecting it is not just a matter of not disturbing it but also not establishing plantings that will shade it out. Seedlings from a source outside the area will likely create even more shade, since they will not be dwarf varieties.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think it is really cool that you own a piece of the plains. I'd love to see the lot. Let me know when the cleanup is.......bob

PS: the pinelands credits were severed from your lot? You probably paid no more than 7,000? No need to answer that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

The clean up site is where you found the "grave." We should go back and really dig it up this time. Then plant a seedling. :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think he means by the letters AR in HARBOR. It is a diamond depending upon how you look at it. At first glance its a square.

If I turn my head it is a diamond. It is going to be really hard to keep people from there.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If I turn my head it is a diamond. It is going to be really hard to keep people from there.

Guy

Give me a cooler full of ice and beer, a nice lounge chair with a sun umbrella, and an IPOD loaded with Dead tunes and I'll keep out the riff-raff. I'll charge them admission.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Congratulations on the purchase. I have to agree with some of the other comments regarding the pygmy pines and broom crowberry Perhaps Ben's suggestion would be worth considering. As Ben mentioned the cones would have to be heated.

Good luck.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies!

I will heed everyones suggestions the best I can. Also thank you for the god wishes.

My purpose was to create a mini reserve/ family retreat location.

I was hoping to have others i may befriend to utilize the location with me.

What is interesting is how the state evades my request for assistance to provide a means of disposal for all trash and recyclables that is found in the State owned area near Bombing Range road.

I am not certain that the State is conforming with the proper protections it should place upon the Pine Barrens as per the CMP or US Designation as a Pinelands Reserve, and a UN recognition of UN Bioshere Reserve or even as a Wildlife Management Area.

The clean-up is absolutely necesary and whoever is to oversee the Stafford Wildlife Management Area has allowed an enormous amount of deteriation and neglect to occur.

Only as a group can we possibly clean the area and preserve it. It also appears likely that there is an enourmous amount of lead in the area where hundreds of rounds have been fired illegaly.

Proper signs and prohibition, poles fence etc, as to where legal and ATV's are permitted to drive will stop the incredible soil erosion of the area.

Just my opinions !

Thanks,
Mike