Water Filters?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have used a MSR Sweetwater filter for several years, right along side iodine and other water treatment drops, such as Aquamira. I was looking to maybe replace my older MSR pump with something new, maybe the Miniworks, when I came across the OKO filter. Interesting, but none the less, I was curious to what other members here may be using and what opinions may be on some other water filters used for camping.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I've been considering one of the Steripen UV purifiers. Downside is the water should be clear/filtered before the purification is done, but it is extremely effective and fast. Until then I'll stick with the Potable Aqua tablets. Also have a MSR filtration unit, but its too bulky for my liking.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Berkey Water Filter.

We use it daily, it is gravity fed and will filter pond water. We've taken it camping in Maine and filtered the pond water there. It has been used on numerous humanitarian aid missions, such as the relief effort in Haiti after the earthquake. The initial start-up cost is a bit high, but the elements last a long time. I have a Berkey Light which comes with two elements (filters), they are good for 3,000 gallons each. When the filters become dirty, you simply clean with a scotchbrite pad. We bought ours in 2009 and I don't expect to change the elements until about 2015.

I don't believe you can get a better water filter than this.

http://www.directive21.com/product-category/berkey-water-filter-systems/

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I forget where I found this, but it's intriguing.

I like that Sawyer thought about how fast organic matter clogs the filter and actually came up with a simple solution to purge the system. The MSR can be a pain to backwash in the field. I have used coffee filters as a pre-filter to help keep the internal pre-filter clean on the Sweetwater.

I've had awful luck with filters, I've pretty much given up on them and just use iodine. If I come across some spare cash, I'm going to try for one of the new UV ones. One of my Scouts has one, and it worked beautifully on the Batona, the AT in North Jersey, and out in Wyoming.