Water spots that are not water spots

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to assume a truck was releasing chemicals while my daughter was driving a month or so ago. These look like water spots but they do not go away. I have tried waxing the window, compounding it, bug and tar remover, toothpaste, alcohol, degreaser and even carburetor cleaner and it still is there. In the area where the wiper blades are it is better so she apparently was wiping it off when it was getting on the car. It is all over the paint everywhere but the white color car pretty much hides them. She drives almost 100 miles a day at all hours of the night and day and the spots are causing her problems trying to see, especially at night. She may have to replace the windshield.

Anyway, any idea's?

spots_a.JPG

Sunroof

IMG_3881a.JPG

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
FWIW, Try a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water, and if it doesn’t work, up the % of vinegar or use straight white distilled vinegar. Good luck

Reactions: Teegate

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, you may not be able to remove those spots. There is a chance the water PH was off to either end of the scale and actually etched the glass and paint.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is looking more and more that way. If so, she is going to replace the windshield.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not recommending it, but as a last ditch effort, Soft Scrub? Please be sure she (and all of you) are safe!

She is acquiring tomorrow some scotch brite and we are going to try it on a small corner low on the windshield that will not effect the view.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
You tried degreaser, was it Purple Power or similar? I sometimes get a film you can't see until it rains and the wipers smear so bad you can hardly see. I tried glass cleaner, alcohol, etc. finally Purple Power 50% and that did it. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off then washing. Careful not to get on the paint. Your situation is different than mine but worth a try.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was simple green degreaser.

I will tell her of all the suggestions. She has some distractions for the next week and then she may go to a glass place and see what they say.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update: She purchased a new front window and the problem with that is solved. It still stained the rest of the car but luckily the paint shows the least.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Did insurance cover it? I would like to know what chemical etches glass.

40+ years ago I worked with a guy that was once an independent trucker. The regulations were almost non-existent back then. Chemical companies only requested the driver sign a release that he will dispose of at an approved facility. He told me all the backwoods roads were fair game, especially Lacey rd, 532, 539, 72, etc. The best time was on a rainy night. He did say he felt sorry for any traffic behind him, apparently not that sorry though. That can't be done today, receipts and documentation have to be presented from all involved. The lead was most likely an accident and the driver unaware.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did insurance cover it? I would like to know what chemical etches glass.

40+ years ago I worked with a guy that was once an independent trucker. The regulations were almost non-existent back then. Chemical companies only requested the driver sign a release that he will dispose of at an approved facility. He told me all the backwoods roads were fair game, especially Lacey rd, 532, 539, 72, etc. The best time was on a rainy night. He did say he felt sorry for any traffic behind him, apparently not that sorry though. That can't be done today, receipts and documentation have to be presented from all involved. The lead was most likely an accident and the driver unaware.

No, she bought it on her own. It really made a big difference.