Water Well quality

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The DEP has released it latest update to testing results from the Private Well Testing Act. Between 2002 and 2009 over 62,600 wells were tested across the state. Unfortunately one out of every eight wells was in violation of safe limits for arsenic, alpha, mercury, nitrates, or volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some of these toxins are naturally occurring but the majority are a result of pollution and over development. Sprawl and over development create a serious groundwater pollution problem in New Jersey. A previous study found that one-third of wells are impacted by over development.
“New Jersey is failing when it comes to protecting families on individual wells from pollution. Not only do one-in-eight wells actually fail and are a risk to public health, but there are thousands of other wells that put people at risk. This is not only a serious health problem, but it shows that over development and the failure to clean up contaminated sites could be impacting people’s health,” said Jeff Tittel, Director, NJ Sierra Club.
New Jersey DEP groundwater standards are 2 milligrams per liter (mg/L) of nitrates in high quality watersheds and 5.6 mg/L everywhere else. However, the test is done to the Clean Water Act maximum contaminant level of 10 mg/L. 1689 wells in New Jersey exceeded this standard, roughly 1 in 37 wells. But more would be in violation if the New Jersey standards were used.
Wells across the state had levels over 100 mg/L: Hopatcong Borough’s maximum was 106 mg/L, Rockaway Township’s 153 mg/L, Upper Pittsgrove’s 109 mg/L and Mansfield Township (Burlington) had a well test at 480 mg/L. In two Cape May County towns the wells had over 60 mg/L. A well in Stafford Township tested at 72 mg/L, while Upper Deerfield Township reached 87.2 mg/L and Buena Vista reached 63.1 mg/L. Water coming out of a septic system is only 40 mg/L and some septics with denitrafication can lower that by a third to a half. This is due to broken systems or high density development.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/06/water_well_quality_is_worsenin.html

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Does anyone know what they are finding in all those wells near the superfund site south of 72 and east of Shoal Branch?There are dozens of them all over the woods in that area.What was dumped in that area anyway?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have bought and sold two homes in the Pines since the new standards were passed. Happily everything checked out OK, although a water softener was required. Those tests are really expensive, I think I paid something like $600 in 2006, no doubt it would cost more today.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob
That Trichlor is bad crap.I used to degrease electronic glass parts with that crap before they went to soda ash for wax removal.One breath of that stuff will cut your air off and leave you literally gasping for breath like a fish out of water.I know I have had a few accidental breaths of it and it is a scary experience.I understand it to be a liver carcinogen.The heavy metals mentioned in here are killers too,what is wrong with people? We need to find out who does these things then we should crap in a glass of water and make them drink it.They've done worse in our water.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I posted them before; however, someone may have not viewed them before.

Around 1978.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06202012chemical_dump/701.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06202012chemical_dump/img060.jpg

Thick black tar like substance that had a smell that I will never forget. We all had headaches when we left. Sorry for my camera failure.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06202012chemical_dump/img096.jpg

If you stuck something in there it was hard getting in and just as hard getting out.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06202012chemical_dump/img100.jpg

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thick black tar like substance that had a smell that I will never forget. We all had headaches when we left.

That reminds me of an episode of Star Trek I saw many years ago... :D

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Skin_of_Evil_(episode)

The away team begins to walk over to the shuttle, but a giant black liquid pool is blocking the way. Dr. Crusher asks the away team to walk around it, just to be on the safe side. However, the black substance follows the away team to the right side. Yar suggests that they go to the left, but the substance still follows them. Data prepares to step over the pool, but Riker stops him. He then asks if the creature has a skeletal structure. Data scans with his tricorder, however, he cannot confirm Riker's question.

Picard asks Data if the black substance is a lifeform. Again, Data cannot confirm. When asked finally if it is possible that this pool is alive, Data says it is. Then they hear an ominous voice calling Data "Tin Man" and a figure begins to emerge from the black liquid. Picard asks Riker what he sees, and Riker simply replies "Trouble".

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Its important to keep in perspective that different standards have been developed for different goals. 10 mgl NO3 is a health based standard to protect infants and young children. 2 mgl is designed to protect water quality in a pristine environment, for which the Pines is really the only approximation in New Jersey, from degradation. I would also suggest that if you have put in a water treatment system you may want to consider if you really need it. If I had well water at say 15 mgl NO3, the health impact from the treatment may actually be worse for an adult.

This is not to say that many nasty things have not ended up in our groundwater, particularly in agricultural areas. But often the ability to identify a compound based on new technology does not mean it is really a problem, case in point being the new bogeyman of radium. Anyone with a private well in south jersey has probably been drinking it for years, and folks have been doing so for centuries. Have we ever had a cancer cluster attributed to naturally occurring radium in the area? Again, the removal process is probably more harmful than drinking it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Much ado about nothing. As a kid I used to swim in Newark Bay. In fact, I probably swim better because I did. These extra arms and legs that sprouted since then surely help. :eek:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Its important to keep in perspective that different standards have been developed for different goals. 10 mgl NO3 is a health based standard to protect infants and young children. 2 mgl is designed to protect water quality in a pristine environment, for which the Pines is really the only approximation in New Jersey, from degradation. I would also suggest that if you have put in a water treatment system you may want to consider if you really need it. If I had well water at say 15 mgl NO3, the health impact from the treatment may actually be worse for an adult.

This is not to say that many nasty things have not ended up in our groundwater, particularly in agricultural areas. But often the ability to identify a compound based on new technology does not mean it is really a problem, case in point being the new bogeyman of radium. Anyone with a private well in south jersey has probably been drinking it for years, and folks have been doing so for centuries. Have we ever had a cancer cluster attributed to naturally occurring radium in the area? Again, the removal process is probably more harmful than drinking it.

Is that the face of an Australian marsupial?Koala maybe?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

You have spoken very true words Mr. or Ms. amf
I will take my icy cold and very tasty well water over city or treated water any day.
You gotta die of something and in my case it won't be the water I drink.

By the time public water systems get done treating their product they have it down to about 10 ppm water.