Waterfowling The Pines

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yesterday my son, his dog and a friend were going duck hunting off of the Delaware River for the day day but I couldn't commit for the long haul.

I elected to go by myself to an old haunt of mine deep in the pines. It is a lot of work to get in there requiring a long ride in on a crappy road and a short, paint-removing half mile drive on a really crappy road. From there it is another half mile on foot.
Depending on the annual groundwater conditions, the second leg in the truck is sometimes a no-go and the hoof in becomes nearly a mile.

I had the woods to myself yesterday, which surprised me because it was NJ's youth day for deer.
I arrived at the parking spot at 5:30 a.m. and started the walk in with a half dozen decoys on my back.
The walk in didnt require a flashlight, the sky was just beginning to glow with pre-dawn light.
As I approached the water's edge, I spooked two woodies that flew off with a piercing squeal.

Decoys were in by 6:10 and legal shooting time was 6:18.
Here is the early view with frosty brush.

img_0646.jpg

At 6:30 two woodies came from behind be with wings cupped, cutting the air loudly. They glided and dropped with a splash to the north side without a glance at my set.
It was turning out be a slow morning with another pair of woodies cruising by and not looking to land. Then a group of five mallards cruised over and dropped to my east.
A single mallard came by a few minutes later and the group let out a high ball and sucked him in like a magnet.
The sky was getting brighter and the glow on this island was beautiful.

img_06491.jpg

The gun was still clean and I picked up the set at 8:45 and started back and I decided to see how close I could get to the mallards. If I could get down to 45 yards I had a chance.
I was able to get to about 60 yards sneaking along the edge of this:

img_0652.jpg

Not one to shoot a sitting ducks or to push the limit of steel shot , I stood and watched an photographed the 6 birds for twenty minutes. I wish I had a better camera and zoom because it was the perfect background and light condition.
They never flew until decided to leave.

img_0660.jpg

Sorry for a drawn out tale about an unsuccessful hunt but it was just one of those days to appreciate the beauty of the pines and waterfowl in solitude. Solitude is hard to come by at times while hunting in NJ but it can be done if you work at it.

I am getting back into waterfowl this year after many years of chasing deer and I really enjoying it.
My first hunting experiences were with waterfowl. I hunted an old lakebed near Gibbsboro with my dad in the late 60's.
I have great memories of blowing my old hard rubber P.S. Olt D-2 call, which I still have and lugging my dad's J.C. Higgins 12 ga. auto through the woods.

Waterfowl hunting is very challenging and places you into the middle of the most beautiful scenery in the natural world, especially in the pines.

Thanks for looking.

Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice story Scott. I swear I could smell the crisp clear morning when I viewed the photos. I need to get out earlier to enjoy the peace and time to think.

That looks like the place with the Pines's longest beaver dam that you led us to on the PBX trek.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Great Story

Scott.
Thanks fo your sharing your hunt with us.I had three daughters and love them dearly.if I had to choose a son,you would be one of my top choices
Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just saw this. Great photo's and story! Thanks for sharing.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice, Scott!! I don't know how practical it is to do this while duck hunting, but try throwing a line just on the other side of the western edge of the beaver dam. Or anywhere in there really.

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Very nice, Scott!! I don't know how practical it is to do this while duck hunting, but try throwing a line just on the other side of the western edge of the beaver dam. Or anywhere in there really.

Jeff

You read my mind, typical pickerel fisherman!
As far as hunting, I also enjoyed getting out in the dark and watching the woods brighten as the sun came up, or late afternoons watching the woods slowly fade into night.

The pictures and story were great.
Greg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Whether deer hunting or waterfowling, being settled down well before sunrise and watching and hearing the surroundings come to life is one of the biggest thrills of hunting. The killing is the most minor part of it, and on many days doesn’t happen at all. I’ve been asked why I can’t enjoy nature without going hunting (which I certainly do!) but few other nature enthusiasts will get out so early, and be so well-hidden, to experience what many of us hunters have. One of the highlights of my hunting career was having a peregrine falcon swoop low over my decoys, and perhaps sensing something not right with them, landed on the bow of my grass-covered sneakbox. He immediately saw me and took off again but that experience will forever be frozen in my mind.