We have egg's....

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
Awesome. Went to grad school in RI and there was an Osprey nest on some tall poles out in a swamp near campus. The Ospreys would soar overhead very close to you as you walked around a causeway that circled the swamp. They are awesome birds in flight.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I find that amazing. What about the thing she is leaning on--it looks man made and placed there by someone?

I'm wonderng if the black narrow things are microphones. If they are, that might be carrying things too far?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What about the thing she is leaning on--it looks man made and placed there by someone?

I'm wonderng if the black narrow things are microphones. If they are, that might be carrying things too far?

Not sure what you mean by 'thing she is leaning on'.

No microphones, nothing manmade in the nest that the birds didn't put there themselves. Camera is on top of another pole on the right as seen in my picture.

142217141.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can see better now in the light. She found a blue carton and uses it to put her head on. The black narrow thing is a piece of plastic she picked up. Man is such a pig. Imagine in 1547, there'd be all wood in there.

4-20.JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There are 2 egg's now. A third will probably make an appearance soon :D, but usually only 2 chix will survive.

Imagine in 1547, there'd be all wood in there.

Back then there would have been no platform and probably no nest there. They are here in the numbers they are thanks to men and women.

Nest making is an art form. Last year they had a flip-flop up there, probably lost by a liberal :eek:

One of the last tree nests in the state below, now gone due to mother nature.

88155477.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Back then there would have been no platform and probably no nest there. They are here in the numbers they are thanks to men and women.

I have to call you out on this 46'r. I think you mispoke.

Are you saying that if man were not here on this continent, there would be less Osprey? I think that you are giving humans way too much credit. Man caused their steep decline in the first place, and without all the development and man's influence, I suggest the population today would be just fine.

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
the parent appears to be bothered by the piece of black plastic bag that is in close proximity to the hatchling.... Could the young be smothered by it? Both parents were off the eggs/young and re-arranging the place.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think your right about Osprey Bob but I know they do claim there are more deer here now then when the Pilgrims landed and it is supposedly because of the deer farms ,uhh excuse me WMA's that feed them plant fields for them.I understand that deer were wiped out in NJ in the early 1900's though and the deer we have now were transplanted from Virginia.