Webbs Mill Bog

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

The DEP is taking steps to solve the problem at Webbs Mill Bog. There has been discussion on closing the road and we now know they are planning on eliminating the road. In my opinion this is a good move but maybe too late. The cedars are almost all dead already. Thanks to Oji for tipping us off to this proposal.

webbs mill.jpg

The airplane may have been the DEP checking the bog out :D

webb.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I don't think I'd say it's too late. I'm not all that concerned over the cedars. They aren't exactly in short supply, and dead trees have significant value in the environment too. It's the herbaceous species along the boardwalk that matter here. And the relatively small acreage of this specific habitat would not be worth going to such drastic measures to protect if it were anywhere else. The value is in the boardwalk and the outdoor classroom it serves as.

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
DEP Guy 1: I'll bet you $200 I can close a road and get the locals to cheer me on.

DEP Guy 2: You're on.

Anyway, what GermanG said: the real value here is not in the cedars. (In fact, they could eventually be a problem if deer browse doesn't keep them down.) It would be nice to see a Pseudolycopodiella there that isn't swamped with decaying algae, like last year!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
DEP Guy 1: I'll bet you $200 I can close a road and get the locals to cheer me on.

DEP Guy 2: You're on.

Anyway, what GermanG said: the real value here is not in the cedars. (In fact, they could eventually be a problem if deer browse doesn't keep them down.) It would be nice to see a Pseudolycopodiella there that isn't swamped with decaying algae, like last year!
Cedar will never be a problem. Their needs are specific, and they don't wander out onto the street looking for better digs.

Edit: oh, I know what you mean; their tendency to cause flower bogs to be overgrown.

Anyway, I don't like Atlantic White Cedar being killed by beaver. It's a problem to me, so I see nothing wrong with using the dead cedar as a secondary reason the beaver need to go.

Last edited: