Webbs Mill flooded since July 22nd

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
I know I read back in June where German unplugged the beaver stoppage at Webbs Mills. Not sure how to tag folks here but can anyone report this to the right authorities? The Goldcrest and bog asphodel has been underwater for weeks now. Not to mention the water is a foot or so from Rte. 539 now. I did see road crews mowing but nothing at Webbs Mills. I posted a whole photo album on my Facebook page Piney Tribe.

Attachments

• 2020-07-29_093146.jpg
    2020-07-29_093146.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 227

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You can "tag" someone by placing an "at" sign before their username. Depending on their notification settings, they will get an alert. For example: @harlequinhawk We already have a thread on the Webbs Mill situation here:

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
You can "tag" someone by placing an "at" sign before their username. Depending on their notification settings, they will get an alert. For example: @harlequinhawk We already have a thread on the Webbs Mill situation here:

That flooding had been resolved back then on July 14th. I was at the area after that and the Pognias and Pinks were up and water levels were fine. I saw @GermanG the day they were there inspecting it from rte.539. This is a new blockage that has what looks like 4 beaver lodge mounds on the backroad.
2020-07-29_122804.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are people working on it but the state moves very slowly.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
asph7-29.JPG

I just wrote to the state:

"As you recall, beaver have been giving this place a lot of trouble over the past few years. No permanent fix has been done. We now have a code red in my opinion. The pipe at the lower road is completely blocked and the water is backed up and flowing over the road. The bog asphodel, curly grass, and Arethusa, and the boardwalk are all under water. The path in from 539 is also under water. Either the beaver have to go, or the road should go. It’s acting like a huge dam."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The only problem I see with removing the road, is the state will block the complete road instead of blocking it off on either side of the pipe area. The less they block off the better in my book.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That says the pond depth needs to be three feet and I think if the Webbs Mill pond was at it historical condition it would not be deep enough. That swamp should be slightly wet and not ever flooded. They need to remove the road and let the water fully drain to make it like it historically was. I am not saying that is the right way to go about it though.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Guy, I didn't read the article which I should of. My solution is to place a standpipe vertically in the swamp to a certain height and attach a conduit to the bottom. When the water gets above the top of the standpipe, it will spill down into conduit and the water would go down under the road to the stream. However, I didn't see that as a solution on the net, so that probably doesn't work either. It probably wouldn't work as the standpipe would get clog with debris. I'm just brainstorming.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
If they close that part of the road behind the swamp you can still access the woods through Jones road instead of Webbs Mill, so it would not be a complete loss of access.

rdhttps://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.887275976263425&lng=-74.37582034271239&z=17&type=terrain&gpx=

Edit by Teegate: I think this is the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they close that part of the road behind the swamp you can still access the woods through Jones road instead of Webbs Mill, so it would not be a complete loss of access.

rdhttps://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.887275976263425&lng=-74.37582034271239&z=17&type=terrain&gpx=

Edit by Teegate: I think this is the link.

That is true. But they MAY block the road at these two points rather than allow you to drive to the pipe area. The less blockage the better.

and

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Did you clean any of it out or was too much in there?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

Did you clean any of it out or was too much in there?

The water over-covers the top of the pipe on the ponding side. You can't even see any sticks. The water on the other side is just sitting there. It seems too dangerous. I was not about to risk it. The photo below is the downstream side. No flow at all. And when you think on it, it would just be a temporary measure anyway. I suggest none of us try it.

1596119458692.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The road was still flowing over this morning, and as Bob said the pipe was under the water. So I dug away and was able to remove all of the blockage a foot down from the top. The water was flowing well but by tomorrow it will be blocked again. With the rain coming in the next few days we will see some serious flooding.

So I decide to back up and turn around at the clearing before the pipe. As I backed over the burm created by vehicles turning, my car wedged in the sand. With the car rocking I was not able to get traction and was stuck. I cleared away some sand from the front wheels and by pushing the car from the back, we were able to get the back wheels on high ground and easily get out.

IMG_1082a.jpg

They will have sound unlike my dash cam videos.

Last edited: