Webbs Mill flooded since July 22nd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was in Barnegat tonite, so came home that way. Did you notice the roadway berm has been very compromised now? I came onto the road from the south, and when I got to the flow across the road, I noticed it was wider and deeper. I went through it, but that will be the last time I do that. It is VERY soft on the pond side and the truck lurched towards the pond. As you said, it will flood with the coming rains, and perhaps even gouge out the road at this spot.

Attachments

• wmbreach.jpg
    wmbreach.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 179

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is deeper than when I was there and I opened the pipe. So the water from upstream is starting to reach that point now making it even worse. You should go back after the storm and photograph it again. I can see someone getting stuck there and getting hurt even just trying to get out of their vehicle

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I'm sure the beavers have initiated an emergency response team.

The breached road may be just what you guys want?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The breached road may be just what you guys want?

I'm being convinced by the state that the permits, pineland commission rules, money, and labor would be very difficult to put together and make it happen. So, that idea is no longer trendy. We are back to firmly eliminating beaver and keep monitoring for new beaver.

I don't think a small breach would do the job.

er-birds

Apr 17, 2022
Brooklyn, NY
There might be a more recent thread about this that I've missed, but wondering if anyone knows about the current status of Webb's Mill Bog? Has it been flooded recently? I visited in mid to late May and it did look like the water level was high and that maybe the site was not that healthy, but since it was my first time there, it was hard to know!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There might be a more recent thread about this that I've missed, but wondering if anyone knows about the current status of Webb's Mill Bog? Has it been flooded recently? I visited in mid to late May and it did look like the water level was high and that maybe the site was not that healthy, but since it was my first time there, it was hard to know!
The state installed a beaver-deceiver, and after some glitches, it has been working. I've not been there in about 3(?) weeks, so if you find it blocked, please let me know.

Reactions: er-birds

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There might be a more recent thread about this that I've missed

Perhaps this?

Reactions: er-birds

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Bob mentioned the people who installed the deceiver have made some adjustments and it is working well. However, it never will be as low as before until the complete area is dug out for the water to flow even more. But this is very encouraging. And even though my photo sucks there are plants growing near the pipe on a log. In recent years I have never seen this at that location because it is always underwater.

DSC_4416a.jpg

DSC_4418a.jpg

It might need some vegetation removal around where the cage meets the water and later in the summer someone may give that a go.

DSC_4420a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: er-birds and bobpbx

er-birds

Apr 17, 2022
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for that report, Guy! Encouraging to hear the situation is moving in a good direction. I visited yesterday, but didn't see where the beaver deceiver is. Some signs of past flooding and high water still visible around the bog, as you mentioned, but also areas seemingly thriving with plants.

Dramatic change in what's up and flowering since my previous visit, when the place was still looking quite dormant (May 18, almost exactly a month before). It's very colorful now!! Maybe the timing of some of the plants has been delayed by the semi-flooded conditions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I stopped in today and it is obvious that the changes to the beaver deceiver are working. Granted, the water is low but even now it is still flowing into the pipes. I did make my way out to the cage and cleaned off some of the vegetation that attached itself almost a foot above where the level was today. If everyone who stops in cleans it once in a while we should be good to go.

I cleaned about 3/4 of it. The back section on the top left is somewhat open and should not effect the flow.

DSC_4598a.jpg

This is the first time in a long time I remember green sticking up across the complete swamp. I was able to walk along the edge from the deceiver to the small pipe down the road.

DSC_4601a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, have you noticed at Chatsworth lake that even with the water being low you can't see the stumps. It appears the dam that Haines built is keeping the water slightly higher making the lake look nice.