Webbs Mill Rd Deer club for sale

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Cheep? Isn't that something a chick does? :p

I cannot place this. Webbs Mill road is one mile from my house. I think the road is wrong.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look through the photos there is a memorial stone to a Fred C. Huss with the date of 1963. I am pretty certain that had to have been the date it was placed there because Fred C. Huss died in 1961. He was the Tax Assessor for New Egypt. Usually the obituaries will name the gun club the person was a member of but his did not.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Transferring these old clubs is a whole ordeal. You essentially have to purchase the entity that holds the property to prevent it being transferred after 1979 and losing the ability to use it for recreation. I’ve been trying to find something suitable to do so for the better part of a decade.

Did you mean purchase "it from" the entity (person) who holds the property? I would think you'd have to be a relative of the person to keep it for living space.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, we now know why they honored him with the stone at the building. Slightly edited to make it easier for me to type :)

1/11/1962
Estate Funds Withheld Till Widow Re-Marries

The widow of a Cookstown man will receive only one half of the residue of his estate until such time as she remarries under terms of a will. The balance will be held in trust
In his will Fred C. Huss, of Main Street Cookstown, bequeathed $11,000. in cash plus an option to buy land he owned in Manchester Township to the Freehold Deer Club.

Huss who died last December 9, left his wife Lena C., $5000 in cash along with 50 percent of the gross value of his estate. The remainder of the bequest was ordered turned over to trustees to invest for her subject to her death or remarriage.

A son, Thomas F. of Hornerstown Rd New Egypt was the recipient of Huss's gun collection, $5000 in cash, plus an unspecified number of shares of common stock held by the First National Bank of New Egypt.

A daughter-in-law, Mrs Gwendolyn S. Huss was given $5000 cash. The Cookstown Methodist Church was bequeathed $1000.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very interesting covenants for a will.
Maybe Mr. Nuss wanted to be certain that some other poor guy would have to suffer the drudgery of being married before his wife could get her grubby hands on his money.
Sure hope my wife doesn't read this. :D

Reactions: bobpbx and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been wanting to go there to look around but never went because I thought it was a home. Jessica would not let me go down the driveway. :bang: :D Now that it is for sale I can stop in and check the place out. If anyone goes, look around here. Might be something there.

Freehold.JPG

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No. The property must remain “held” by the same entity/person after 1979. So you have to purchase the entity (thus no property transfer).

I have been a licensed professional planner in New Jersey for 30 years and I have performed a lot of my work in the areas of New Jersey that are under the jusridisction of the Pinelands Commission regulations. I began working on projects in the Pinelands starting in 1982 and I have never encountered the situation that you are describing.

The Municipal Land Use Law (MLUL) at NJSA 40:55 D-68 makes provisions for the continuation of nonconforming uses in a broad sense and the Pinelands Commission makes clear provisions in the Comprehensive management Plan (CMP) for the continuation and limited expansion of nonconforming uses at NJAC 7:50-5.2. Ownership transfer is not cited as a factor in the continuation of the use in the MLUL or the CMP. I am also well aware of the significance of the dates of February 7, 1979 and January 14, 1981 with Pinelands and the "grandfathering" of uses. The only criteria that usually affects nonconforming use is an abandonment of the use for a specified period of time.

I performed work for a gun club in Waterford for a building expansion and it was an expansion of a nonconforming use and required no extraordinary permitting or anguish through the Pinelands or Township.

What obstacles are you encountering in your research ?

Last edited:
Reactions: aleahey and Boyd
I have been a licensed professional planner in New Jersey for 30 years and I have performed a lot of my work in the areas of New Jersey that are under the jusridisction of the Pinelands Commission regulations. I began working on projects in the Pinelands starting in 1982 and I have never encountered the situation that you are describing.

The Municipal Land Use Law (MLUL) at NJSA 40:55 D-68 makes provisions for the continuation of nonconforming uses in a broad sense and the Pinelands Commission makes clear provisions in the Comprehensive management Plan (CMP) for the continuation and limited expansion of nonconforming uses at NJAC 7:50-5.2. Ownership transfer is not cited as a factor in the continuation of the use in the MLUL or the CMP. I am also well aware of the significance of the dates of February 7, 1979 and January 14, 1981 with Pinelands and the "grandfathering" of uses. The only criteria that usually affects nonconforming use is an abandonment of the use for a specified period of time.

I performed work for a gun club in Waterford for a building expansion and it was an expansion of a nonconforming use and required no extraordinary permitting or anguish through the Pinelands or Township.

What obstacles are you encountering in your research ?

Not an obstacle with regards to the new septic — my apologies if I conflated the two issues. The property needs a septic system to transfer, an investment I wasn’t willing to make.

Separately: I don’t have the Manchester code in front of me, but I can dig it up. It must remain held in perpetuity by the grandfathered entity (or individual).

I have been wanting to go there to look around but never went because I thought it was a home. Jessica would not let me go down the driveway. :bang: :D Now that it is for sale I can stop in and check the place out. If anyone goes, look around here. Might be something there.

View attachment 12838

I poked around there. I think that is where the gate is to the property?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. Thanks

There is a gun club property right by there called Buddies Deer Club. No building. There is also the Menzer property nearby. I assume it may have been owned by Charles Menzer who was in charge of Collier Mills when I was looking for the Lawrence Line stones. I spoke with him on the phone once. That Menzer property has a building on it that I was told is/was a gun club and on that property is the remains of the Pasadena development according to Jerseyman. (Not Brooksbrae) You can see the rise in the ground and some apparent ruins there.

Reactions: Boyd and aleahey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stopped to check out the gun club today. It is odd driving down that dirt road and coming upon the three For Sale signs.

IMG_4167a.JPG

IMG_4169a.JPG