Weekend Finds

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Starting last weekend I resumed my search for the corners of the Ellis Adams property. If you do not recognise that name you may want to read the Calico chapter of Beck's Forgotten Towns. If you don't have the book you can read it here.

http://tinyurl.com/gw69vm7

Ellis%20Adams.jpg

About 6 years ago I visited the corner at the bottom left in the above photo and found this stone there.

IMG_4121.JPG

With some old information we set out last weekend to find a few of the other corners that I had calculated. We actually visited every one of them and came up empty. Most of them were in briers and the vegetation is still semi thick. So I came home and worked on it some more and this weekend we returned to find the top right corner location. Arriving at the corner again I was certain I was correct and about 80 feet away we found a Bass River State Forest monument which may well be the actual corner. As of yet I am uncertain but it looks promising.

IMG_0509.JPG

Early this afternoon we switched gears and headed to Lebanon to visit the location of Mary's Bridge on Mary's Bridge Road. Currently, that road is called Buckingham Road but back in 1942 and earlier it was Mary's Bridge Road. I had been down this road before but never knew about the bridge.

Marys_Bridge_Road.jpg

mary.jpg

The bridge is long gone and a pipe takes the place of it now.

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

If you look the map over closely you can see the name of the man who worked with Silas Little making "Experimental Fire Plots" for their research back in the 1930's and later. You can also see the plot location is still easily visible on the aerial map.

From there we headed to a really remote location looking for a "Locust Post." This post is a property corner and was located there at least 85 years ago and maybe more. The chances of finding it were remote but it actually is still there.

IMG_0526.JPG

Looking the area over I am certain a road went right by it and I am guessing the hole in it may have been used for a rope or cable to keep people or animals from passing by it.

IMG_0523.JPG

However, the highlight for the day was this find. While traveling down a really tight and remote road in an area I have never been at before we discovered another sawmill base. As we came close to it I told Jessica we would find one. The area where the individuals built them are so similar that as soon as I come near a location like this I always expect to find one. Most of the time I don't but today was a treat.

IMG_0519.JPG

The usual depression where the sawdust would most likely collect.

IMG_0521.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's interesting. Locust is used out west for fence posts because of its resistance to rot. I had a friend remove a couple trees from his yard and he gave me some of the wood. I was amazed how long it lasted. I saved a piece or two to use for a wood working project. I just haven't figured out what to make yet.