Wet Day at Colliers Mills

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Today I took a quick trip out to Colliers Mills to scout out some locations for an upcoming site get-together that I am planning for (possibly) February. I got a late start to the day, getting there at 2PM.

Long time members may remember an article I wrote way back in May of 2005 about exploring the "Lost Lake" of Colliers Mills. One of the goals of that trip was to see how "remote" I could get, and that section of Colliers Mills WMA is pretty much off the beaten track. During my last visit I found that people do in fact go back there, and that my bushwacking was more or less for naught as there seemed to be a path that went right to the "lost lake."

I drove in the same way that I went last time, but along the way I spotted a clearing which looked suspiciously man-made. I poked around for a bit and couldn't find any evidence of a former structure or non-native plants, although I am hardly an expert. My gut feeling is that at one point in time there was something there.

CRW_0335.jpg

CRW_0336.jpg

CRW_0340.jpg

Whatever it was, it's been abandoned for a long time. By humans. Beavers, on the other hand, had a field day in the not too distant past.

CRW_0337.jpg

CRW_0341.jpg

CRW_0338.jpg

CRW_0339.jpg

Continuing on, I wanted to visit the ruins of the cabin or gun club that I stumbled upon the last time. I also wanted to re-visit the long abandoned bog that I discovered nearby. I found the ruin easy enough, but was sad to see the cast iron sink that was there in 2005 has been taken.

CRW_0343.jpg

CRW_0345.jpg

As I was scouting around, I felt a drop of water on my hand. It had started to rain. I followed the road past the cabin which then turns into a path, and then a really narrow foot path as it enters the swamp looking for the bog. I think I got confused as to where the bog was, because I ended up wandering very deep into some lowlands, following a path that was getting narrower and narrower (although used, since branches had been cut on either side). Finally the rain started coming down somewhat hard, and I quickly hiked the 1/2 mile or so back to my Jeep.

By the time I had gotten back to the car, the rain had gotten worse and it was dark enough for me to want to put my headlights on. I didn't make it back to the lost lake, that will be an adventure for another time.

One thing to note - as I understood it, you could not hunt on Sunday. I heard somewhat frequent gunfire while I was out there. It sounded somewhat distant, but I wonder if there are people who are out there shooting when they shouldn't be.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Site get-together??

The hunting clubs practice on Sundays. Everywhere I go on Sundays I hear it. I heard it today at Martha.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice report Ben. I actually enjoy hiking around on a rainy day myself - it's very peaceful. Was out for two and a half hours today until past sunset. Got home wet, cold... and happy :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report Ben. I actually enjoy hiking around on a rainy day myself - it's very peaceful. Was out for two and a half hours today until past sunset. Got home wet, cold... and happy :)

I guess you don't wear glasses :(

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I guess you don't wear glasses

Sure I do. I have an old parka with a big hood that works pretty well, and wear a knit cap also. I don't know, guess I'm just used to it. But I have to be in the right mood for it. And today I just went right out from my house into the woods so I didn't have to drive anywhere.

But it was beautiful out in the woods and the sound of the falling rain was very peaceful. My coat and clothes were soaking wet when i got home and are drying by the woodstove now. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I went back today with my friend Cass to finish following the path I gave up on, and get back to the "lost lake."

We followed the path that starts near the cement foundation and followed it back to the lowlands. The trail led through a mix of pines and other trees. After a while any semblance of a path was gone and we found ourselves in a nice cedar swamp. It was pretty dry, and we found out why there was a path there:

CRW_0347.jpg

Hard to see, but that's the highest tree stand I've ever seen:

CRW_0348.jpg

The area had a ton of recent blowdowns, including this really impressive one. It looks like it was twisted off the trunk:

CRW_0349.jpg

CRW_0352.jpg

CRW_0350.jpg

We then took a short walk to a nearby river. The Cook Topo Map #13 calls this the Bordens Mill Branch. The USGS topo map, however, puts the Bordens Mill Branch further to the South, and the creek I found is unnamed. Looking back and forth between the Cook map and the USGS map, it's pretty clear that there are some discrepancies. The brook, whatever it's name is, was flowing really well, and the area was really scenic and picturesque:

CRW_0353.jpg

CRW_0358.jpg

CRW_0354.jpg

There were more blowdowns. You can see the tree in the following picture in the one above. It was very tall:

CRW_0355.jpg

Because the path that we followed on our way in pretty much petered out at the entrance to the swamp, we had a hard time getting out. I made a waypoint where I parked, and we more or less bushwacked our way until the path showed up on the GPS. It took us a while to get through the briars.

We returned to my Jeep and headed towards the "lost lake" that I found back in 2005. Back then I more or less bushwacked until I found a path to it. Now I found where the path originated and took that there. We found the crude bridge that I saw back in 2005 still in place:

May 8, 2005 - Colliers Mills WMA Explore 049.jpg

(2005)

CRW_0360.jpg

(today)

We took a path through the woods that lead to a clearing. We then had to take a smaller path out on the other end of the clearing which lead deep into the woods. Once again, the path nearly petered out and was somewhat overgrown. Briers crossed the path in several places. We were soon met with success, though. The lake is a hundred feet or so off the path:

CRW_0367.jpg

CRW_0369.jpg

CRW_0370.jpg

I'd be interested in getting back there with my waders and exploring the edges of that "lake."

After the walk today, I'm not so sure I'd do a site get-together here. It's a little rough going for the average Joe, I think. We ended up traveling about 4 miles.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A very nice area, and nice photo's. I see the blue sky looks good at the lost lake :) That looks like leather leaf there?

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, Colliers Mills is an interesting area. It's not really the Pine Barrens, but it's right on the fringe, and it's interesting to see the change from pines and other trees, to just pines, and then cedars in the swamps.

I just found a lone tick on me.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice! Seems like an extrodinary number of blow downs, and that cedar looks like God himself twisted apart. The lost lake looks a bit like a spong in the photos. Does it appear to have any inflow and out flow, perhaps from the unnammed brook? shallow?

Jeff

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
No in or outflow that I could see. Looks like it's just a spot where the water table breaks the surface. According to the topo there should be more nearby, although the aerial only shows only "craters" nearby.

I'm not sure how deep it is. I didn't have my waders on yesterday.