Weymouth Furnace

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Last year we tried finding Weymouth Furnace to put on my site but couldn't. I was just wondering if anyone has been there and if there is actually anything there? I've been down that way a few times but never could find where it is. I heard one story that the rocks or ground around it have turned blue. Interesting concept to say the least.

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
What's at Weymouth

At Weymouth, there is a tall tower, the remains of what was some kind of mill, probably paper. There are also shorter fenced-off ruins, I am not sure what they are. There is also a dry millrace or something that was used to power the plant. The Great Egg Harbor river runs through, it is a great place to put in or take out in a canoe or kayak.

B

BarryC

With maps provided by the township historical society in Mays Landing, a person can hike all over Weymouth (on both sides of the road) and find the ruins or foundations of the 2 paper mills, the mansions, a boardinghouse, regular worker's houses, and so on and so forth. Nothing remains of the furnace because in the late 1800s it was taken down and one of the paper mills was built on its foundations. That is what can be seen next to the water today, in the little county park. The fenced-in ruins are those of the other paper mill which was in use at the same time.
The county park is on the east side of Route 559, just south of where 623 ends, and just north of 40/322, in Hamilton Township, Atlantic County.
Barry
Stu said:
Last year we tried finding Weymouth Furnace to put on my site but couldn't. I was just wondering if anyone has been there and if there is actually anything there? I've been down that way a few times but never could find where it is. I heard one story that the rocks or ground around it have turned blue. Interesting concept to say the least.

B

BarryC

Maybe nonsense. I never heard it or saw it. I've been there many, many times.
Stu said:
So what's with the stuff about the ground or rocks being blue? Is that just nonsense?

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
It may be in reference to the blue-colored slag that is pretty abundan there. It is also possible that a glauconitic formation in the area. I know portions of the streambed of Manasquan River is blue from glauconite. I also think this material is instrumental in forming bog iron ore in nature. In short though, besides the pieces of blue slag, I haven't noticed the blueground either. It might have been different a long time ago.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Weymouth is my favorite place to go swimming on a hot summer day (off of work). Definitely check it out, very peaceful and interesting place. It is more of a park than your traditional south jersey historical landmark.

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
stizkidz said:
Weymouth is my favorite place to go swimming on a hot summer day (off of work). Definitely check it out, very peaceful and interesting place. It is more of a park than your traditional south jersey historical landmark.

Swimming is banned at Weymouth.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Piney1125 said:
stizkidz said:

Swimming is banned at Weymouth.

And..........?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I see no harm in swimming here, so I do it anyway... Besides, whenever I go swimming there, there are always others there swimming too. AND, it is a canoe launch site, which really makes the "no swimming" rule seem silly. I am pretty sure they put up those signs to cover their own backsides in case someone drowns or gets hurt.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
stizkidz said:
I see no harm in swimming here, so I do it anyway... Besides, whenever I go swimming there, there are always others there swimming too. AND, it is a canoe launch site, which really makes the "no swimming" rule seem silly. I am pretty sure they put up those signs to cover their own backsides in case someone drowns or gets hurt.

I agree, we don't need no stinking badges to swim in the creeks God gave us.

badger

Aug 30, 2004
actually the place is called a furnace for a reason . they first thing that was built there and the only thing i knew that stood there was a cannon ball factor.i live exactly two minutes from the furnace ,i kayak the river every summer. it is a great place to go but ya swimming in not allowed there because it is state property and if it is a designated swimming area it has to have life guards.the blue berry fields are also down the road so the works are always there swimming .the park service will usually post a ranger to be in and out of there on a regulare basis to tell people to leave. :spank:

but ya i go there to make the dog get his exercise in .so i'm no better

B

BarryC

Actually it was a Bog Iron furnace. Cannon balls were just one of the items cast there. They are supposed to have made certain munitions items for the War of 1812, water pipes for Philadelphia and household cast iron items too. The furnace went out of blast permanently sometime in the 1840s if I remember correctly, just like all Bog Iron Furnaces did. After that 2 paper mills were built, one of them on the foundations of the furnace. The ruins that stand over and next to the water are those of one of the paper mills. The ruins inside the fence behind the rent-a-john are those of the other paper mill.
The township historical society in Mays Landing has maps of the old village. Using it you can find other ruins, foundations and cellar holes.
There's a man who lives somewhere in Weymouth who wrote a book, detailing the complete history of Weymouth. I and my friends bought out the last copies that Palace Outfitters had. I know of no copies available anywhere, unfortunately. Batsto's copies of that book are also sold out. Unfortunately the man no longer answers his email. He had another book planned which was to contain most or all of the text of the Weymouth Diary, or Weymouth Time Books (I forget the exact title of the diaries). They are similar to the Martha Furnace Diary.
Barry
P.S.- I apologize if I already posted some of this earlier.