Wharton Forest fire 4/6/13

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

From NJFFS;

CURRENT NJ WILDFIRE ACTIVITY
04/06/13- SECTION B1- Wharton SF, Tabernacle- 50+ acres uncontrolled, burn-out ops in progress. 2 planes worked the fire today. Size is expected to increase. Updated 2030 hrs
04/05/13- SECTION A1- Vernon Twp- Edsall Dr, ALPHA 3 made 2 drops, no size info
04/04/13- SECTION B9- Jackson Twp, RT 571- 15.75 acres after burn-out, U/C 2100 hrs
04/03/13- SECTION B1- Evesham- Reported 5 acres of forest overnight, now U/C

Remarks: IA was moderate today for the northern two-thirds of the state​

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
CURRENT NJ WILDFIRE ACTIVITY

04/06/13- SECTION B1- "Hampton Gate Wildfire" Wharton SF, Tabernacle- 100+ acres uncontrolled, burn-out ops in progress. 2 planes worked the fire yesterday. Area is unaccessable by vehicles bordered by swamps.
Full containment expected on Sunday if winds hold. Resources: 25 crew, 5 wildland engines, 2 bulldozers.
News link http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/21899600/nj-wildfire-growing
Updated 0
4/07/13 @ 0700 hrs

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Anyone have a better idea of where this is?

We were out along the Featherbed Branch area yesterday and saw the smoke on our way out. At 8:10 pm, the FFS stopped us at Moore's Meadow Rd and told us to proceed very slowly with our 4-ways on. When we reached the bend near the end of the Wharton, at Hampton Gate, we saw that the top of the Stone Hills were on fire!

Some back-burns had been started but it was a pretty awesome and frightening sight. You could see the large glow in the darkening sky and could tell that fire extended well over the hill. The road passed within a couple hundred feet of the blaze, and we were thankful they let us out that way. Going back through Speedwell would have been a long trip.

The smell of the smoke went all the way to Tabernacle. I just hope all the nearby folks and their homes are alright.

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just got back from Tabernacle; no visible or odor of smoke anywhere, but the wind is blowing pretty good out of the sw.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was along the Tulp behind Friendship bogs this morning/afternoon and there was no smoke or ashes falling. I headed home via Carranza. I saw a helicopter and crew at the first gun club on your left as you head out of Wharton on Carranza. There didn't seem to be any urgency in their movements and the smoke was very light along the Stone Hills, so the fire must be under control or out.

The back burn along Carranza and through the Stone Hills.

stone hill.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We called it that because it is a belief that property stones were mined from there as well as other places. And I am sure thery were used for homes. And I believe someone did post something where it was mentioned that the hill was used for exactly that.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should go in the next few weeks and visit. The view down that hill towards that house is impressive. If the fire burned there it may be even more impressive.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The back burn started from the fire cut that roughly splits the hills in half. The hill behind the Wharton sign wasn't touched. If you look closely in my picture you can see the crest of one of the hills as the "high" horizon.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We were out along the Featherbed Branch area yesterday and saw the smoke on our way out. At 8:10 pm, the FFS stopped us at Moore's Meadow Rd and told us to proceed very slowly with our 4-ways on. When we reached the bend near the end of the Wharton, at Hampton Gate, we saw that the top of the Stone Hills were on fire!

Some back-burns had been started but it was a pretty awesome and frightening sight. You could see the large glow in the darkening sky and could tell that fire extended well over the hill. The road passed within a couple hundred feet of the blaze, and we were thankful they let us out that way. Going back through Speedwell would have been a long trip.

The smell of the smoke went all the way to Tabernacle. I just hope all the nearby folks and their homes are alright.

John-
Pine Baron
There was no need to go back to Speedwell.You simply could have back tracked to here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78969278569092&lng=-74.66163754463196&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= and headed south to Hampton Furnace and then took Hampton Furnace /Atsion road on out to 206.These roads are all drivable in two wheel vehicles.