Wharton Forest fire 4/6/13

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I thought it was posted on the FFS website that all of the controlled burns were over last week. It seems odd they would do one now that the fire season is upon us. The risks are high.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I thought it was posted on the FFS website that all of the controlled burns were over last week. It seems odd they would do one now that the fire season is upon us. The risks are high.

Guy

May have been a back fire for the current one or from an earlier burn. The main fire is now reported to be at 150 acres and 75% contained.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
There was no need to go back to Speedwell.You simply could have back tracked to here.

Al, that's the way I would have went, but the other vehicle I was with would NOT have taken that way. They thought Carranza Rd between the monument and Friendship was off-roading. Come to think of it, they probably would have been pissed about how bad the Friendship-Speedwell Rd is. :)

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It has grown a bit. Rain on the way.

04/06/13- SECTION B1- "Hampton Gate Wildfire" Wharton SF,
Shamong Twp- currently at 205 acres at 75% containment. Area is unaccessable by vehicles bordered by swamps. Crews continue to
strengthen control lines. No time-table for full containment.
Updated 04/09/13 @ 2030 hrs

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I spoke with a njFFS warden on Thursday. He said the fire was still burning but totally contained. They were going to let it burn out. He described it as being on Wilkin's ridge.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect that Wilkins ridge may be a short name for Wilkinson. I would need to know more accurately where the fire is to be more positive. Ryder and Wilkinson owned quite a bit of land in that area.

Guy