Wharton snow damage

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That last snow storm really took down a lot of trees. Tuckerton to High Crossing was impassable for a day, now it's dodge the trees. I don't dare go down the smaller roads. Nothing like being a mile in and having to back out. The canoe liveries are gonna have fun.
Carranza road west of Friendship.

P3270002s.jpg

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I was out Sunday and ducked under or around or over a bunch and had to pull two to the side that were impassable

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Ed. I guess I will be using my hand saw this weekend.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There was over 100 trees down in Laurel Lake.I was without power two days and some went over three.Had crews from Canada and Indiana here helping/Every block had trees down and they kept falling after the snow was melted.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I've been clearing trails at Bass River SF. More to come tomorrow. Yes it was bad. A lot of pine trees just snapped maybe 10-30 feet up and the top part just fell over. I guess it was the heavy snow that did it. Lots of big branches down too, and some dangerous-looking leaning trees.

Timing couldn't be worse: April 1st is when the rest of the campsites open, including the cabins, and the maintenance staff are scrambling to get all that ready. So I can't get the chainsaw guys to take care of the big and/or dangerous trees on the trails for a while - trails are lowest priority after main roads and then campgrounds. (Sand roads that aren't trails are apparently even lower priority.) But we'll get it all done, eventually.

Reactions: h2ochild and Boyd

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I cleared a lot of stuff today, but I left this one across the trail/road. I call it a PPA tree. Hikers can just step over the low part, bicycles shouldn't have much trouble getting by, but cars are blocked. PPA. Get it? (Don't worry, it will be cleared eventually.)
tree-on-tral.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Thinking of maybe doing a quick Batsto river paddle on sunday. Are Quaker Bridge and Hampton Roads in good shape, at least?

Based on what I've encountered in the days since the storm, you may be dealing with trees blocking the river, as well as the roads. Liveries have cleared many of the rivers they serve in the past but it may be too soon after the storm for that..

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've been clearing trails at Bass River SF. More to come tomorrow. Yes it was bad. A lot of pine trees just snapped maybe 10-30 feet up and the top part just fell over. I guess it was the heavy snow that did it. Lots of big branches down too, and some dangerous-looking leaning trees.

Timing couldn't be worse: April 1st is when the rest of the campsites open, including the cabins, and the maintenance staff are scrambling to get all that ready. So I can't get the chainsaw guys to take care of the big and/or dangerous trees on the trails for a while - trails are lowest priority after main roads and then campgrounds. (Sand roads that aren't trails are apparently even lower priority.) But we'll get it all done, eventually.

Sent you a PM about this.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Based on what I've encountered in the days since the storm, you may be dealing with trees blocking the river, as well as the roads. Liveries have cleared many of the rivers they serve in the past but it may be too soon after the storm for that..

Yeah with snow on the way it looks better to wait a few weeks. I was just excited, temporarily anyway, by the nice weather and wanted to take advantage of it.