What a fantastic weekend for a hike!

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
After all the hot weather we had this summer, I thought that I'd have to nix the trips I'd planned to the Pinelands, but the past several days have been fantastic. I had an amazing trip yesterday with a friend of mine, and wanted to share some of the things we saw. We started out in Bryne State Forest, and found a little swamp with a couple dozen Platanthera cristata in full bloom:

1853.jpg1902.jpg1926.jpg

Some of these plants were tiny, but a few were pushing two feet or more! There were also P. blephariglottis just starting to flower, but we (sadly) didn't see anything that looked like their hybrid. I didn't catch many other flowers, since many of them were out in the middle of wetlands and too far out for the lens on my camera. Here's one that I could snap, a nice clump of some yellow-eyed grass (Xyris sp.) perched on a little sphagnum hummock:

1988.jpg

I've got no idea which species that was, since I couldn't get close enough to get a good view (or a closer picture). We next stopped at Whitesbog for a wander around. I know it's not uncommon and certainly not part of the special Pine Barrens flora, but I've got a soft spot for Lobelia cardinalis; there aren't that many plants that are so red, and it reminds me of the firepinks that were so common in the spring when I used to live in Indiana:

2050.jpg

We next headed to check out another mixed population of P. cristata and P. blephariglottis, and on the way saw a fantastic stand of the latter on the side of the road:

2076.jpg2100.jpg2112.jpg2168.jpg

We counted nearly 600 plants in bud or in flower! There are very few places I've ever seen so many flowering orchids, and certainly not so close together. After taking some time to shoot some pictures, we moved on to our intended destination. There were about a dozen P. blephariglottis blooming and a couple P. cristata in bud. And about a dozen lemon-yellow Platanthera x canbyi in flower:

2201.jpg

My big hobby is hiking on the weekends and taking pictures of our lovely native orchids, but after doing it for a few years, it's getting really tough to find ones I haven't seen before. P. x canbyi is one of those; it's the twenty-sixth kind of orchid I've seen since I moved to NJ in 2006, and it's always a special trip to find a new one. Some days I wish I lived a little closer to the Pinelands, since it's such a spectacular place to spend a day out on a hike.

What a weekend! And to top it off, I found Platanthera flava var. herbiola (number 27!) up in northern NJ today.

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mike,

A great report on your day and I want to thank you for that. I also like that your photo's of the p.cristata only shows the plants and nothing else. I am sure you know what I mean.

Guy

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Guy,

Thanks! I was lucky that the most photogenic plants were well-protected from the breeze by nearby bushes, so I could get some good macro shots without them bouncing all over the place. I didn't have so much luck with P. blephariglottis, as it tended to be out in the open and waving in the breeze. I keep meaning to share pictures of my hikes, but I get really backlogged with photo editing when I'm in the thick of the warm season, and by the time I've got the pictures ready, it's been several weeks.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Great pictures! It was an excellent weekend after the heatwave. Those Lobelia look like the ones we planted along the field next to Suningive.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Oji,

I got lucky this weekend; I guess I'm making up for so many weeks this year of not finding anything of note. My orchid book suggests fifty-someodd species for NJ, but sometimes I wonder if the real number is closer to 40. I guess it's tough to tell, when you're looking for tiny needles in enormous haystacks. I've seen a lot of your pictures on here, you've got to have keen senses and some fantastic luck!

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I have stumbled across some great plants while diddy-boppin through the woods on my own, but I'm fortunate to have some friends who have decades of experience and they let me tag along.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very nice report and photos!

Some days I wish I lived a little closer to the Pinelands, since it's such a spectacular place to spend a day out on a hike.

Come on down, there's room for one more! But I think the grass is always greener... some days I wish I lived a little closer to the mountains. :D

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
The grass is always greener, indeed. I guess part of why I like southern NJ so much is that it seems less disrupted by development than the northern part of the state. Brown's book on orchids of the northeastern US mentions a lot of species in the northern part that probably aren't even there any more. I mean, Arethusa was apparently widespread up there once upon a time.

Are you the same Boyd as in Boyd's map of NJ on GPS file depot? That's an amazing piece of work.