What Am This ?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After deer season my friend and I are going back to the spot. I want to get a close look at it myself. He's been hunting the area so we don't want to add any unnecessary disturbance.

Is is on or near that island we discussed before?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt it is on the island because I have walked it multiple times as well as all of us on the PBX hike.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, I finally got back to the spot with my buddy today to take a first-hand look at this thing.

First, I don't think it's a valve. The reverse side of this very heavy object has tracks cast into it that would allow it to be mounted on and slide along two rails. The round, tubular portions look like cylinders that may have contained pistons. On one end the cylinder is open and has an opening about two inches in diameter. The other end is closed except for a 3/4" diameter hole. The center piece between the two cylinders looks like it would allow rotation but I don't think being mounted on rails would allow that to occur. A 1" diameter shaft protrudes for one side of the object.

My theory is it was a part that was replaced on a piece of heavy equipment (logging possibly)) and simply left behind.

We did not bring it out as the walk in is rough and this thing probably weighs 30-40 lbs.

Let the guessing continue !

IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting! With it's weight I would say you have to be correct.