WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF SEEING A MINKS ?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mink

Hi Alfonso, how you been dude?

I saw a mink about 8 years ago along the road that parallels the Chamberlain Branch behind Bamber.

He ran across the road and up a tree running from my dog. He was chattering at us like a scolding housewife. He seemed to be jet black in color. I was running and all sweaty so I didn't linger over it, but its something you never forget..........bob

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
My friend saw a Bobcat last year in Jackson Township and I saw a river otter in the Manasquan River last year, too. I didn't know what it was since I never heard of river otters in the squan before. It looked like it was dying so I got a game official, but when we got there it was gone. Th game warden said it was the time of year when they give birth and that I probably saw that happening. When we came back to the site with the warden I asked a nearby fisherman who was probably early 70's about if he saw it and he told me he has had them swim between his legs. He sid there used to be a "tribe" of them further downstream but that he rarely sees them anymore. I was VERY intrigued bythe whole esperience. I have yet to see a Minx yet. Seems like you had a rare experience since I know they are natural species but surely were hunted down to near extinction in the barrens. I've so far only even seen one fox in all my travels down there. The "FoxChase" book is cool in what it meant to the foxchasers, but I overall felt bad for the foxes who were run to near-death for the fun of the "game", over and over. How easy it was for the people involved too. No excertion on their part at all, hardly. Life is hard for all species in the region and I think the balance is more delicate than you will find elsewhere. I am happy to hear that there is obviously a reproducing community of Minx's left. Keep us informed of any more sightings.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
It doesn't look skinny like it died of starvation or even disease. Looks like a healthier specimen than some of the live ones I've seen elsewhere. It seems unusual for whatever reason. It's weird how scarce animal life appears to be when you're out there. I remember when I was at Stockton College we were out in the woods to take notes on what we saw and we really saw very little animal activity.

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
one of the prettiest weasels i ever saw was one in winter dress, all white with just a brown spot on the tip of the tail.........the barrens definately have mink,otters,and bobcats..........but have never seen them ,yet

B

bach2yoga

KARL said:
one of the prettiest weasels i ever saw was one in winter dress, all white with just a brown spot on the tip of the tail.........the barrens definately have mink,otters,and bobcats..........but have never seen them ,yet

sounds beautiful....Kristen was really into weasels a while back after having gotten one of those toy store weasels that chases a ball. We did a lot of reading on them. What amazing creatures they are! I know our stigma of weasels is not one of envy, but not so to many Native American tribes. It was highly revered as the cleverest of hunters. I do hope to see one of these elusive creatures some day.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
ROFL! You're too funny!
Renee

That has been my nickname since I was 16 and started at the gas station. The man who worked there said I looked like a weasel. My brother and my one friend still call me that and rarely use my real name.

Guy

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
I never saw a mink but my son and I saw a woodcock last week. At the corner of poormans parkway and stage road. It’s the first time I have ever seen one.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
JIMBO said:
I never saw a mink but my son and I saw a woodcock last week. At the corner of poormans parkway and stage road. It’s the first time I have ever seen one.

Ahhhh! :) Poormans Parkway. I really like that road. Many a morning I have rushed down it trying to make the opening of the Batsto Fair or a swim at Lake Absegami.

You know what? I really like Tuckerton lately too, and the 539 area itself. Something raw and elemental about it. Like progress will never catch up to us there.

And if I didn't live in Bamber, I'd live in Warren Grove. How can you beat it?

bob

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
jokerman said:
My friend saw a Bobcat last year in Jackson Township

I know this is a long time past, but---do you mean Jackson as in Great Adventure jackson?? I live in jackson and this is the first i've EVER heard of bobcats anywhere near the pines---nevermind in my home town.

If he's sure about it, i was wondering if there's a chance you could tell me or show me where in jackson. If they're here, i absolutely have to see one . . .

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton,
Like your website! Snoogieboarding looks like a ton of fun! Lots of great herptile info, too.
Renee