What are the differences between the NJ pines, LI pines, and the coastal mass pines?

Nov 8, 2007
The title pretty much covers everything but to clarify some more, what are the natural and environmental differences between the three? I know there must be some since they are definitely three distinct areas... anyone know any unique and interesting differences between them?

For example I know that the "pines" in Belleplain are unique from the pines in say Wharton in that its alot more mixed with oak and actually marks the northern extreme of the southern pine biome with a greater presence of southern pines like loblolly, shortleaf and VA pine and more sweetbay magnolia, sweetgum, southern red oak, etc etc.

And it can be anything not just plant life, do they have more ghost towns, or less dirt roads, more fires, etc etc any difference of note is what Im looking for... thanks!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The title pretty much covers everything but to clarify some more, what are the natural and environmental differences between the three? I know there must be some since they are definitely three distinct areas... anyone know any unique and interesting differences between them?

For example I know that the "pines" in Belleplain are unique from the pines in say Wharton in that its alot more mixed with oak and actually marks the northern extreme of the southern pine biome with a greater presence of southern pines like loblolly, shortleaf and VA pine and more sweetbay magnolia, sweetgum, southern red oak, etc etc.

And it can be anything not just plant life, do they have more ghost towns, or less dirt roads, more fires, etc etc any difference of note is what Im looking for... thanks!

You really are into your trees! Nice.

Guy