What constitutes the Pine Barrens?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I keep coming back to this thread because the topic fascinates me for some reason. Here's another answer to your question.... go to the i-MapNJ site and launch the viewer:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/depsplash.htm

Notice on the left that there's a layer named "pinelands boundaries". I've attached a screengrab of what they consider to be the pinelands. BTW, that's a very cool website that I want to spend some time exploring...

Attachments

• pinelands.jpg
    pinelands.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 335

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, I have trouble with that site all the time. It does not do what you want it to. You select things like names and munipalities, hit refresh, and it does nothing. Do you have the same problem?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I really haven't spent any time there yet, just played around a for a few minutes. Last year ago I used a similar GIS browser for Atlantic County to determine where the flood plain was in relation to my home. Then last week I tried that site again and got nothing but errors.... weird.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Boyd, I have trouble with that site all the time. It does not do what you want it to. You select things like names and munipalities, hit refresh, and it does nothing. Do you have the same problem?

Bob
I use it all the time for work, almost daily.
Make sure you have all pop up blockers off or you will be booted out just as you are about to open a layer of data.
The Big News this month is that they have added a base mapping layer of 1930 aerials. You deselect the 2002 photobase when you have your area and select 1930 aerial and whallla!
It is cooller than hell and I have been playing with it all week.
Actually that can can contribute to blindness I am told.
:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow... that is really cool to see the way the area around my house looked almost 80 years ago! Thanks for the tip, but I fear I could also be afflicted by blindness soon as well :)

Bob, some of the layers appear to be 'greyed out' in my browser even though I can select them. These won't show when you refresh the image. Took me a few minutes to catch on, but the layer availability depends on what zoom level you're at. Try zooming in and out and you will notice layers changing between gray and dark blue. When they're dark blue you should be able to select and view them.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott, thanks so much for the tip on the 1931 maps. It opens up an astounding new world for us to explore. GREAT!

This is a section close to Whiting. Guess what the dots are. I am positive I know what they are:

MYSTERY.JPG

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
From what I've read of the 20's and early 30's, I would have thought stills if there weren't so many of them. Charcoal pits is probably a better answer. Or crop circles.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Since we are talking about the work of NJ pine barrens colliers, they would be pits in name only, more accurately being desrcibed as mounds. After the charcoal is scooped up, I'd guess only a minor depression would be left if any.