What dangerous animals live in the pines?

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
I guess we are different then. I live in the woods and am out for a couple hours every day. During the season, I could easily have 5 or more ticks on me after one of my walks. I have permethrin treated shoes, socks and pants - rarely use a treated shirt. I only wear them during my walk. And this is only during the bad months, mostly May through July. Sometime in August the ticks usually dimish significantly in my area.

I am willing to risk the permethrin because it's so effective, and I had a real tick problem before I started using it. Everyone needs to make their own choice though.
I guess we are different then. I live in the woods and am out for a couple hours every day. During the season, I could easily have 5 or more ticks on me after one of my walks. I have permethrin treated shoes, socks and pants - rarely use a treated shirt. I only wear them during my walk. And this is only during the bad months, mostly May through July. Sometime in August the ticks usually dimish significantly in my area.

I am willing to risk the permethrin because it's so effective, and I had a real tick problem before I started using it. Everyone needs to make their own choice though.
Yeah, I have to retract a little on my stance, with a little more research it seems that permathin might be less toxic than deet and it comes from a more natural source. Though the sources I read reminded the reader that less study has been devoted to permathin especially because it is newer. I want to point out that many people confuse deet with ddt. Deet studies seem to point to the toxcicity level of deet is the same as permathin labeling it as level 3 which is supposed to mean it's only slightly toxic. Take in mind that we should take any such studies with a grain of salt, many companies pay the fda to speed up approval and hide negative findings, because.... well money is to be made.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yeah, I have to retract a little on my stance, with a little more research it seems that permathin might be less toxic than deet and it comes from a more natural source. Though the sources I read reminded the reader that less study has been devoted to permathin especially because it is newer. I want to point out that many people confuse deet with ddt. Deet studies seem to point to the toxcicity level of deet is the same as permathin labeling it as level 3 which is supposed to mean it's only slightly toxic. Take in mind that we should take any such studies with a grain of salt, many companies pay the fda to speed up approval and hide negative findings, because.... well money is to be made.

You need to use due diligence and care with any substance that can kill or do harm. Permethrin is toxic to children(more so than adults), honey bee's, other insects, fish and amphib's, so be conscious of where you go when wearing clothing treated with it. I wouldn't go walking thru streams or marsh when using it. Just a little common sense goes a long way. The ddt controversy did more harm when its use was curtailed, and some people, notably the ones causing the hysteria, became rather wealthy from it.

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel

I have to apologize, after doing some more research it seems that both permathin and deet are considered to have about the same level of toxicity to humans. The fda labels both at level 3, which apparently means slightly toxic to humans. I also must remind readers to be careful of mistaking deet for DDT. It is DDT that is responsible for such nasty cancers. I have read that different blood types and blood concentration levels of metallic nutrients can add to the level of attraction that blood suckers like tics and mosquitoes more attractive as far as they may be able to detect higher levels of these minerals by smell. I know that potassium levels that are high in a persons particular blood stream seems to stimulate mosquitoes to bite you more. So along with other factors, perhaps that is why we seem to have different experiences!

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
You need to use due diligence and care with any substance that can kill or do harm. Permethrin is toxic to children(more so than adults), honey bee's, other insects, fish and amphib's, so be conscious of where you go when wearing clothing treated with it. I wouldn't go walking thru streams or marsh when using it. Just a little common sense goes a long way. The ddt controversy did more harm when its use was curtailed, and some people, notably the ones causing the hysteria, became rather wealthy from it.[/quote

This is a confusing statement. What are you intending to say here? You are saying that after ddt was banned that it the damage it created increased? If something is toxic and this substances use is curtailed leading to lower concentrations of exposure to the chemical, how does it become more dangerous than when exposure was higher in volume?

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel

Aha, I see. You know what, it's kind of ironic because birds are often involved in helping the success of plant species. All the seed they eat and often some of these pass through their digestion entact enough to germinate. Not quite as important or as widespread as bees, but birds also contribute to cross pollination, especially humming birds. Where large grazing animals like cattle are not indigenous, grazing birds like Canadian geese serve in replacement of that ecological niche.