What happened to Whitesbog

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Went down to whitesbog to look for reptiles today, ended up seeing just painters. However I did see an adult bald eagle soaring over some empty bogs, first one I've seen in the pines. Also saw a good amount of kestrels hovering over some empty bogs which I don't see too much. One thing I was unhappy to see was that about 4-5 bogs were completely dug up and made the place look like hell. In the past I have seen turtles in these bogs so I was a little disturbed to see this. Unfortunately what ever turtles were hibernating in there are probably now dead, kind of ashame. I thought these bogs were inactive so I was suprised to see they were doing maintenance on them. Nothing like going out to the woods and having it look like a freakin construction site, kind of ruined my day. Anyone see this or no what they are up to?
Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
dragoncjo said:
Went down to whitesbog to look for reptiles today, ended up seeing just painters. However I did see an adult bald eagle soaring over some empty bogs, first one I've seen in the pines. Also saw a good amount of kestrels hovering over some empty bogs which I don't see too much. One thing I was unhappy to see was that about 4-5 bogs were completely dug up and made the place look like hell. In the past I have seen turtles in these bogs so I was a little disturbed to see this. Unfortunately what ever turtles were hibernating in there are probably now dead, kind of ashame. I thought these bogs were inactive so I was suprised to see they were doing maintenance on them. Nothing like going out to the woods and having it look like a freakin construction site, kind of ruined my day. Anyone see this or no what they are up to?
Chris

I saw that a month ago when Jes and I were there. They were building new locks far out from the road. I don't think I have any photo's of it though.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Here is a photo, they really dug up everything plants, small trees, etc. It kind of sucks I went down to look for spotted turtles and there habitat or possible habitat had been completely bulldozed. However, the american kestrels seem to be enjoying the new terrain, first time I've seen them at whitesbog. Here is the pic this is about midway down,