What is being observed from the high animal blind??

• Thread starter TabernacleNative
  • Start date
T

TabernacleNative

I was out hiking the week before Thanksgiving in a back part of a new park/preserve out in the Pines (don't want to give out the exact location, but it was along the RR tracks) and I came across an animal blind up on stilts. It was overlooking a small clearing. I thought at first maybe for deer, but why an enclosure big enough for 2 or 3 people to sit in - I've seen tons of temp. deer stands out there. There was plenty of "stuff" in the clearing so I decided to go in and check it out, and I got hit with a really heavy, organic smell. In the times that I traveled out West and to AK I had always read that carnivores have a heavy smell. Needless to say, being alone, I got out of there and caught myself looking over my shoulder and peering into the woods until I got back out into the clearer areas. Any ideas or info. as to what might be getting studied out there???

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was out hiking the week before Thanksgiving in a back part of a new park/preserve out in the Pines (don't want to give out the exact location, but it was along the RR tracks) and I came across an animal blind up on stilts. It was overlooking a small clearing. I thought at first maybe for deer, but why an enclosure big enough for 2 or 3 people to sit in - I've seen tons of temp. deer stands out there. There was plenty of "stuff" in the clearing so I decided to go in and check it out, and I got hit with a really heavy, organic smell. In the times that I traveled out West and to AK I had always read that carnivores have a heavy smell. Needless to say, being alone, I got out of there and caught myself looking over my shoulder and peering into the woods until I got back out into the clearer areas. Any ideas or info. as to what might be getting studied out there???

Are you referring to the hunter's stand on the backside of Parker's preserve? Is it located in a clearing along side of the line of cedar posts from the old fence? It has one leg that is bent from someone trying to push it over.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Some of them are quite large and can hold many individuals.

IMG_6684.JPG

T

TabernacleNative

That's the spot. It seems very elaborate compared to what is normally out there in the woods. Definitely not a duck blind - I see plenty of those while kayaking out on the Mullica - besides, I don't think the ducks will congregate by the old RR. The smell in the clearing was unlike anything I've ever smelled - anywhere. And I've come across plenty of dead and/or rotting animals out in the woods and along the river.

T

TabernacleNative

I thought it was for watching bears at first, but then I read there were bobcats in Franklin Parker. Maybe coyotes - I came across one while hiking once - we just stared each other down. And I have a photo of a bear track I took out by Martha last winter - it was as big as my size 11 Scarpa!

T

TabernacleNative

ya know - I did a search at first on the forum just to see what might come up before I posted and I got directed to that Bigfoot thread. I got sucked in and read most of it, sorry to say. The biggest foot I've ever seen out there was that bear print.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It is along the orange-yellow trail. It is nothing but a huge deer stand and it has been there a few years. The deer like to congregate in the dry cranberry bogs, which it overlooks. That area has plenty of cedar and blueberry bushes. I think it is a perfect spot. The smell could be the bogs themselves or doe urine used by the hunters.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
bear smell like hay and horse shit,I know this from personal experience,not here say.Bobcats smell like strong cat piss,also from experience in zoos.pit vipers have a cucumber smell also from experience handling them.

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
ya know - I did a search at first on the forum just to see what might come up before I posted and I got directed to that Bigfoot thread. I got sucked in and read most of it, sorry to say. The biggest foot I've ever seen out there was that bear print.
you have that pic of bear track in the gallery?