WHAT IS GOING ON?

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
I have been checking on to this site every chance I can. I do not have the have a computer at my house, only limited access at work (1 or 2 times a month) I look foward to reading all the new entries each time I can get on (again:1 or 2 times a month). What do I see? The same entries that I saw last month. Can we try to keep this "TALK" going? I find it disappointing to see nothing new for 2-4 weeks at a time. Again, I do not have access that often. As it is now ,I only have a few minutes.......Let's keep this site going......

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
I hear ya.

I worked very hard on making this site and creating these message boards. I'd like to see them utilized.

Use them... abuse them...

I really made this public forum to promote education in the pines. We can all learn from the wisdom of each other.

Let's do it.

Robert Blanda
Owner
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I've been a little surprised by the lack of posts also. I also take part in a message forum focusing on model trains. There are new posts there about every five minutes. No, that was not a typo, I really did say five minutes. It is just a bunch of guys (and few gals) extremly passionate about their hobby. Maybe we have to spread the word a little better about this forum.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi,

I will try to do my part to keep these post going. Here is my contribution.

I believe I have not posted this in the past, so if I have I apologize. Most of the information included is from a historian on fire towers that I have corresponded with in the past. The picture was taken by a friend of mine while we were at the tower in 1977.

http://members.home.net/islandtee/6_77CedarBridgeTower.jpg

This photo shows the 110 foot International Stacey Cedar Bridge fire tower in 1977. It was located 1 mile east of route 539 on a dirt road. From 539 you could access this road at the 16 and a half mile marker. This was not the original Cedar Bridge fire tower, and it also was not the original location. In 1924 the first tower was built south of route 72 in the small village of Cedar Bridge. The original tower was a 60 foot Aermotor.

Sometime probably during the 30's the Cedar Bridge station was moved to the dirt road mentioned above, and the observation platform show in the photo was installed. The platform was used to spot enemy planes during the war, with access to the platform by a "trap door". Even though it was no longer in Cedar Bridge, the tower retained the name.

From the 30's until 1987 the tower had no electricity and phone service, and unfortunately it was subject to vandalism as the photo shows. It was then decided to move it to it's present location on route 539. A Sikorsky Sky Crane helicopter was brought in to carry it the mile to it's new location in one piece, but a full tank of gas in the chopper thwarted the first attempt because of the weight. After using up more of the fuel, the tower was hoisted up and moved to it's present location. During the move the bottom 10 feet of the tower was damaged and had to be removed, and it currently is 100 feet tall.

The observation deck was removed, and a flashing light was installed on it's unique wooden gable roof. A security fence was also installed to prevent vandalism. The cement footings of the tower show in the picture, can still be found on the dirt road off of 539 mentioned above.

If you have any other info or comments on this, do as Rob said and abuse the boards.

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I have heard a slightly different version of the tower's history from one of the staff of the Forest Fire Service. He said that the tower was moved three times, not two, since its original construction and that it was the same tower at all locations. The four bases for the original tower can still be seen on Cedar Bridge Road also, but they are hard to find unless you have an idea where to look. I don't remember where the other location was right now. My source may have been passing on some slightly wrong facts that he was told since he certainly doesn't qualify as an "old timer" and doesn't have first hand knowledge of the earlier history of the tower. Since your facts are more detailed, I'm inclined to think you are closer to the real history. Where did you get your info, by the way?

In any case, one of the things I like about history is that it is not static. New facts are always coming to light and you can rarely say a subject has been totally exhausted. I always enjoy finding new information.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I mentioned in the post, I received most of the info on the Cedar Bridge tower from a man I had corresponded with for a while. He mans a tower just across the NJ border in NY. He has researched the towers in our area also. He did mention the third move, but he was never able to come up with clear information about it.

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
westy,
I hear you. I come here a couple times a week looking for new posts as well. I also post some things here once in a while, but my posts get little or no response. I see there are 20 registered users of this board, and I would think there would be a whole lot more. But the most surprising thing is that those people registered themselves as users of this board, but very rarely use it.
I love south Jersey and the pine barrens, and I love talking about it. I love learning about places I've been to and places I have not yet been to. Between the ghost towns and the plant life here, there is MUCH to talk about, especially for those of us who live here.
On Yahoo I have this club (the URL is: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ghosttownsofsouthernnj ), called Ghost Towns of Southern NJ. I've got 120 registered members. The Yahoo clubs consist of a message board, photo galleries, chat room and links list. These clubs are free. I believe only 3 or 4 people have uploaded pictures to the galleries, and there are only maybe 5 or 6 that ever post on the message board. And I founded the club way back in July of 2000! The message board sees almost no action. Even when I try and post interesting topics or questions, I get little or no response. It's beyond me.
I even arranged a trip. Before I set the date, I had about 3 or 4 responses from people who said they would go on a trip IF I HAD ONE. Once I set the date, only one person responded and it was someone who joined only days before and she DID go.
It's very frustrating. I know when the people are online, yet they never participate. I'd say at least 90 to 95 of my members have never once posted on the message board! Not once! Go figure.
Also, like you said, I am a registered user at a few other message boards and Yahoo clubs. Those boards are so busy, you just wouldn't believe it. If you miss a week, it'll take you a half hour to catch up with all the newer posts. Aside from my Yahoo club, this seems to be the only message board for enthusiasts of the NJ pine barrens.