What is this hole in the ground?

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
I found this structure in Lacey area deep in the woods and well off trail. The area was very thick huckleberry and scrub (I would have never walked through it if I didn't have to. I have no idea what purpose this served. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe a storage area for a hunters feed????

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
May be a deer hunters pit blind, although it would be the first I have seen for that. It is common for Goose hunting in fields.

100_1465.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, an old pit blind. While many build shacks above ground I've come across a number in ground and part in ground. I've also come across old rounded holes. Maybe at one time there was a structure but I think they just laid in the hole and covered themselves with a net and natural foliage. I think most are for firearm season, can't imagine drawing a bow and not be noticed.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Awesome thanks guys that makes sense. I just noticed the camo netting in the pic as well. I originally thought it was related to hunting due to its location, however I had never seen one like it before and I spend a lot of time in remote sections of woods.

Wreckless

Jan 9, 2009
Ocnaled
Used to use pit blinds for hunting crows also. Put out decoys and start using a call. pop up when they start arriving.